Rendering of buildings : question for Steve

Hi Steve,

I have been fiddling around with the graphics trying to do some different things with various bmps , I figured out how to make things disappear, In doing so I realized the CM was only rendering graphics onthe outsides of the buildings, i figured this out when I altered a tile to try and change the appearance - My question is; Is there anyway to show the bitmap as two-sided rather than one? This is most likely a coding issue I'm sure but I'm hoping it isn't, because it would open up so many possibilities.

Thanks

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Guest Big Time Software

Big coding issue smile.gif In fact, it is impossible to map two textures onto one polygon (or one defined area). We would have to have a second set of walls for each and every building.

Steve

---

Big coding issue In fact, it is impossible to map two textures onto one polygon (or one defined area). We would have to have a second set of walls for each and every building.

---

?

Could you not check if the viewpoint is internal to the building and then map the corresponding texture to the walls? i.e

if (vpInternal())

{map(internalTexture)}

else

{map(externalTexture)}

SS: I just started fiddling with the church myself. I'm curious about a couple of things:

How did you make transparency?

How do the darn roofs work? The church tower seems to be comprised of the same 4 .bmps, but on the two sides the roof apparently lays over the upper story. How do it know? What sets the pitch of the roof and puts it there in the first place?

Also, in views 3 and below pixels from the original .bmp seem to be smudged- they are blended into a lower resolution and averaged colors. Is this a function of my pathetic video accelerator (laptop) or do you get the same thing? It means choosing individual pixell colors very carefully, not WYSIWYG.

Mark IV

THat's a result of small texture sizes scaled up wink.gif In a way its good, you just draw any odf thing down, and it blurs it wonderfully for you biggrin.gif

I use dthis to good advantge in my tweaked uniforms wink.gif LOL

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo and my Saving Private Ryan Sound Set mod! Oh Yeah - Have a listen to some of my music too! When i get my record deal...you may have to pay for it ...

KIA, the problem is that if you have a unit inside a building, and you're checking his LOS, there will be other units outside checking THEIR LOS into the building. If the unit inside sees a hole in the wall, but the units outside don't see that hole (it's just big enough to poke the business end of a bazooka through) then you'd still have the problem of having one polygon for the wall that you can only map on texture on.

DjB

Mark IV

The transparencies are gained by finding a graphic that contains a large amount of a peptol bismol pink color - these are used as a backdrop color, apparently this color is coded to be invisble. Simply open the file with the pink, use the eyedropper tool in Photoshop ( if ya have it) to make the palette that you work from that color, then use the appropriate tool to color the area desired to be invisible.

As far as the tower goes you cannot alter the tower's physical shape only its general appearance - I've already tried, the builings roofs all come from the same tile. Therefore you cannot remove the shingled portion on the pitched sided of the tower, which allows you to only alter on side of the tower :-(.

I found the best way to work withthis stuff is to magnify the image to 1000% ( some worked well at 500%) then do what needs to be done. you must restore the file to its original size in order to save it and use it, If you do not you will get no texture on the polygon.

I do not work in pixel mode - I found it simpler to work with the airbrush smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

SS: Thanks. I use Paint Shop Pro 6 and can sample color same way.

The roof is pitched more steeply on some buildings than others, it seems (compare church tower to the huts near the intersection in CE). Maybe that's just a function of how far apart the walls are?

So far, I was able to turn the church into something like a gas station with a triceratops on the roof redface.gif . Encouraged by that, I plan to keep at it.

Guest Big Time Software

KIA, for all I know you are correct. I ain't a programmer smile.gif It was my understanding that it would be quite impossible to do this, but it might be that it could be done. However, the other issue I didn't mention was VRAM. The texture set for buildings would take up 2xVRAM. Not worth it in our opinion.

Also, a note about the Pepto Pink smile.gif This is a binary thing, so either you see color or you see straight through the texture. There is no inbetween. That stuff needs to be coded as it is a hardware issue, not an art one.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 01-24-2000).]