Demarcation

In the Carentan scenario a new setup area is determined for each new battle based on progress made. How does this work?

I ask the question, because it is possible to avoid the bridges completely (as allies) and advance into the open space between them. Next battle, the new setup area is beyond the bridges.

I also (as allies) managed to take Carentan and advance beyond it, but, because my Axis opponent advanaced far into my rear on my left flank the new setup area was well back into territory I had already previously taken.

It seems very strange, especially as one can avoid actually taking the bridges.

Please help/explain.

Thanks.

Is Carentan the operation where there are two roads converging on St. Come du Mont that continue on as one to Carentan?

Been a while since I played that one. I think the idea is that your left column is a kind of flank guard to your right column, and if it doesn't keep up your right column has to get pulled back between battles for resupply and to avoid isolation.

To prevent that kind of thing from happening don't let your front line on one part of the map get too far ahead of the other. You have to do something about that hill fortified with pillboxes overlooking the stream or they'll be sending patrols into your rear and your supplies will never get through.

Or sumfink.

Also note: the game does not handle operations well when it comes to selecting set up zones between battles, most players that want realistic game play make up house rules as far as set up from battle to battle to prevent some problems, but not much more can be done other than that.

The problem you are experiencing is common with CMBO, and still exists to a somewhat lesser extent in CMBB and CMAK. Basically the computer is programmed to draw the new demarcation line direcly across the map in as straight a line as possible.

This new divide is determined by two factors - the location of the farthest advanced unit from the attacking side, and what distance is chosen for the 'no man's land' setting.

This results in situations such as the one you encountered. In the Carentan Op the no man's land distance is set at 160 meters. This means that you could have advanced (assuming you are the Americans) up to but not over the bridges by the end of one of the battles, and when the next battle begins that 160 meter divide has now shifted the new demarcation line well past the bridges, allowing you to cross unopposed without a fight.