AI armoured vehicle placement

Greetings. 

I am learning the system, so a lot of the time I will "surrender" a one-player scenario after a specific time just to then look at the map and get a grasp on how the AI maneuvers and plays. I have noticed that most times when they are on defense, they position tanks and tank destroyera faced away from inbound threats...usually in pretty good cover of trees etc. Facing away in this manner COULD be an attempt to fire into the rear of incoming armour if it bypasses their pisitiin without noticing them.. but ALSO leaves their own weaker rear armour facing the inbound tanks...is this an intentional gamble by TacAI, or a continuous repeating error?

Before BFC added the - facing command - to the editor AI units tended to be facing towards their next waypoint. Older scenarios that were designed before this feature had been implemented might still be suffering from this 'bug'...

I actually made the scenario with the game as I just bought it. The Soviet side has three AI plans...one of which is defend almost totally (used rarely) one is a very cautious "defend" for about 45 minutes then a cautious advance (used sometimes) and the third is a defend for 30 minutes then a max assault (used often) there is no way really to tell which plan it chose but all three times I surrendered at 45 ,minutes and looked at the map. All three times the Soviet has most of his armour facing backward behind concealment. If they were using any of the "wait then attack" plans their next objective would be in the direction the German armour is coming from.

The way they played DID succeed in ambushing a Hetzer and a -4J in one of the three trials as I ran right past them and got shot in the back...but expecting that the third time on the flip side, I cut through their tree cover and knocked out all 4 of their TD and 2 of their 4 T-34s. 

You need to allocate a 'face' command in the AI plan at the end of each AI Group order in the editor.

Page 104 in the CM Game Engine Manual details facing, fire commands and withdraw.

Also be aware the "Face" command won't work as a Setup order in the AI dialog, only during the following AI orders. As a work-around, I generally leave any vehicle in an ambush position (it is not moving at the start of the scenario) with no painted order for Setup. You may then issue the Face order in the first AI order slot (along with any other concerns like fire arcs and behaviors).

The "Withdraw" order is also very useful for AFV's for directional positioning, as it keeps the facing to the direction set, and the vehicle will reverse while popping smoke (if available).

With SET UP-orders it kind of works...

You can still place the facing (green) dot in the editor. The limitations seems to be that the units does not start the scenario facing that way when you click the go-button but they will instantly start to rotate towards the desired direction as soon as turn one starts...

So if the AI unit is not at risk of comming under fire on turn one the facing command is somewhat useful for SET Up-orders also..

9 hours ago, rvseydlitz said:

I actually made the scenario with the game as I just bought it. The Soviet side has three AI plans...one of which is defend almost totally (used rarely) one is a very cautious "defend" for about 45 minutes then a cautious advance (used sometimes) and the third is a defend for 30 minutes then a max assault (used often) there is no way really to tell which plan it chose but all three times I surrendered at 45 ,minutes and looked at the map. All three times the Soviet has most of his armour facing backward behind concealment. If they were using any of the "wait then attack" plans their next objective would be in the direction the German armour is coming from.

The way they played DID succeed in ambushing a Hetzer and a -4J in one of the three trials as I ran right past them and got shot in the back...but expecting that the third time on the flip side, I cut through their tree cover and knocked out all 4 of their TD and 2 of their 4 T-34s. 

To test your AI Plan you can disable any other plans in the editor so you know which AI plan you are testing. Just go to the AI section in the editor and click on the AI plan and you can toggle the 'not used' button in the dropdown.

A wee thing to be aware of re the 'assault' and 'max assault' command is you need an AI element with multiple units for this command to work e.g. an AI group that is a platoon +. It won't work with a single vehicle or a single squad. Sticking with 'advance' is a 'safe' option overall as the AI will move tactically regardless of the size of element.