Fight at Vallebruca

Just downloaded the CMFI demo and finally giving this game a go. I've played it twice now, both times losing. I'm trying to get fire on that AT gun with my mortars but I can't get them in position to draw a bead on them. 

Going to go watch some basic how-to videos before I give it another go. Really want to learn how to do well in this game.

Appreciate any quick tips for this scenario.

Thanks

As far as I know the anti tank gun in this scenario only has a narrow firing arc because of it´s positioning. So probably this should not be your main concern.

Your main problem will be the machine gunners in the buildings that may snack away your infantrymen.

So what I would do is ignoring the gun as much as I can and concentrating on positioning my Stuart(s), where it can provide good covering fire for the infantry and cannot be targeted by enemy anti tank.

Later you can deal with the gun once you are in reach and storm it with infantry. But if you really need it´s destruction I would recommend an indirect firemission via an HQ.

Firing at it directly with the 60mm mortar will attract counter fire by the gun itself or rifle/mg fire which will be lethal at this short distances...so not recommended.

To get to know the positions of the enemy infantry you either need to give them something to shoot at, which should be smaller teams (split of scout or fireteams), while you keep an overwatch with other troops (peferably ones with binoculars). Or you could just shoot up suspected enemy positions with your light tank and mg to minimize enemy fire or to force them to fire back and to reveal them this way.

Once they are pinned you can move in close with your main infantry force and storm the houses.

Note that you don´t have to move within the forest line to the left to get closer. This may be some kind of deathtrap even. If you can put up enough covering fire you may be able to use the middle ground with lots of bushes to storm ahead. This will also conceal your troops a bit.

It's a fun little scenario. I've played it a number of times, and it's a good one to micromanage everything as you don't have a large number of units to control. I agree that as long as you are careful not to get your Stuart in the way of that AT gun, you can use it for covering fire to advance your men. 

Go down low to level 1 and 2 and take a good look at the terrain. There are areas where you can approach behind cover. 

Dave