Off Topic US Civil War Item.

Relayed to me by my daughter

and edited for presentation

here for your interest.

Subject: Re: [sCV Dispatch] C.S.S. Hunley viewing

Compatriots,

This morning at 8 am I was privileged to enjoy a private viewing of the C.S.S. Hunley.

I cannot mention names but would like to personally thank Gregory Poole and

Caterpillar for donating two pieces of equipment to the "Friends of the Hunley" foundation for affording me this wonderful opportunity.

Besides myself and my friend, we were let into the building by the diver who first touched the C.S.S. Hunley and he was in fact, our host. My emotions of being in the presence of Southern Confederate history are

indescribable, I have no words!

I would like to share with you some of the things which I certainly did not know before and I hope you will enjoy. The C.S.S. Hunley is only 4 feet tall, excluding the conning towers. There is definitely a hole in the forward porthole of the conning tower which Commander Dixon had to be looking through to guide the direction of the sub. This is the only hole in the entire sub; therefore, we know this is where the water came in that flooded the sub.

A microscopic telescope [fiber optics?] has been inserted in the sub but it has divulged nothing as the sub is filled with sand and the eye of the telescope is so fragile that it breaks upon contact with this sand, so nothing was learned from this exploration.

The diver believes that crabs entered the shot out porthole and fed on the hero's bodies. There may be bones from which deoxyribonucleic acid can be extracted in the sealed up bone marrow. Then the crabs could not get out; so more crabs came in to feed on the dead crabs and this went on and on until who knows when. So, what they are expecting to find is a layer of sand, and a huge layer of crab shells on top. There may be enough flesh (perhaps caught up in a belt buckle or something) to run DNA test on. [for what purpose?]

They expect to find some cloth remnants and any metal objects that were inside the sub

(including Dixon's coin if the legend is correct). They will enter the sub through one side panel, which will be carefully

removed by drilling out the rivets. Once the remains are removed, the panel will be replaced and they believe the sub will be completely restored to its original condition!

There is a tentative plan to glass in the opposite wall from the viewing platform and thus allow visitors to observe the excavation as it takes place!

As I am still overcome with emotion, this is the best I can remember as to what I saw and heard today. I trust I have passed on information you did not yet know. I am still overwhelmed!

The tours begin this weekend. They expect to begin the recovery of the heros at the end of November.

I am your humble obedient servant,and In the bonds of the Old South, I remain,

Tim Fetner [><]

Gen. Wade Hamptom Camp #273

[Ahh, nothing like the viewpoint of a dyed in the wool reenactor, {referencing his closing and lost cause patriotism (which I admit to sharing in a small measure-- If one can't live a little bit though other's eyes, then in truth we only have one life to live, and too often a rather humdrum one at that. Better that though, than one too damned exciting! And likely short.)}]

Thanks for the information, aside from the somewhat overpowering tone of the report it was very interesting and answered some questions that I had. From an historical standpoint the Hunley should offer a priceless store of data. From an emotional standpoint, it's good to see the submariners brought home. Regardless of the cause for which they fought, theirs was a brave act deserving of our respect.

Joe