Muzzle Break

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACTOR:

Look in this thread...

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010299.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, got another thread? That one had a bunch of hamster and gerbil references in it. Unless you're saying a muzzle brake is hamster launcher that is. I don't want to go down that path again, so what is the answer to the question? The serious answer.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

A muzzle break is a recoil-softening device. Some work better then others. Some are removed in the field because the additional dust cloud they create when firing gave away positions easily. Some guns are designed with enough other recoil inhibitors present to avoid needing a muzzle break.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ckoharik:

Hrm, I thought muzzle breaks also helped reduce the amount of adverse spin or tumble induced by the gases on the projectile. Am I wrong?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a bit hurried while posting. I should have preceded my post with…One purpose of… Thank you for the correction.

Warren Peace said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What does a muzzle break due and why do some guns have'um and some don't?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be more specific than the previous answers, a muzzleBRAKE is a cheat for Newton's 3rd Law about equal and opposite reactions. Basically, besides the bullet, all the powder gas is going down the tube as well. While this doesn't weigh much, it's so fast that it still adds a lot to the recoil force. So what a muzzlebrake does is redirect some of that gas sideways, via holes or slots around the muzzle. Because this gas is no longer going forward, it doesn't push the barrel backwards, thus lessening the amount of recoil the gun tube transmits to its carriage or user.

Of course, gas so vented tries to push the barrel sideways. But muzzlebrakes have symmetrical hole patterns so there is an equal amout of gas going both directions to the side; thus, their forces cancel out and there's no sideways movement. NOTE: There are similar devices called compensators that have holes only on top. This pushes the muzzle down with each shot, which helps keep an automatic weapon's sights on target.

The reason some guns have them and not others is generally an engineering issue of some sort. Some guns like small howitzers aren't very powerful so don't have excessive recoil anyway. Some more powerful guns have such macho mounts that full recoil force isn't a problem, but need them on lighter mounts in other vehicles. Sometimes an existing gun gets more powerful ammo and needs a muzzlebrake to fire it on its existing mounting. And APDS ammo doesn't work well with some designs of muzzlebrake because the sabot chunks tend to hang up in the ports.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html