No "Cancel" option when replying to a post?

Rob2020

Does this forum software not have a "Cancel" option when replying to a thread? I only see a "Submit Reply" button.

It seems that if I change my mind about replying to a thread, my only option is my browser's "Back" button, which throws me out of the thread and back into the previous menu. Also, no "Preview" option, which I miss more. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but...meh.

Additionally, there was something else I wanted to ask, but now I forgot. Damn old age.

Edit: OK, I just remembered - edits are allowed for only an hour after posting? And no spell checker?

Triple whammy: No spell checker, no preview and no edits after an hour. Ugh. Nowadays, I'm surprised you're getting anyone to post anything legible at all. 😁

Edited by Rob2020

I didn't mean "delete" after having made a post. I meant changing one's mind and deciding not to post after you've started. With most forum software, all you have to do is click a "Cancel" button, but here there is no such button and your only option is to use your browser's back button to revert to the previous menu level. Like I said, not a big deal, just meh.

I can understand not allowing deletions after an hour, since that would disrupt threads.

I also know the reason for not allowing edits after the first hour of posting, namely, so that a person involved in a discussion can't change something they wrote earlier and make false claims.

All that said, I do greatly like the simplicity of these forums. So many others go overboard with their endless customizations and personalizations, which confuse more than anything else.

Meh, well, whatever, just play the damn games, right? 🙂

Edited by Rob2020

Just an arbitrary hypothetical fictional example, but if you start a post, maybe after a few bourbon and cokes, such as a big rant about the programmer not having done certain things in all these years or they don't just work more with modders "Throw us a freaking bone!", but THEN after a few drunken paragraphs, you realize how fruitless it all is to say a damn thing, you can just STOP and move to another thread. Nobody knows and essentially it just disappears...

PTh43D9.png

Edited by kohlenklau

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Just an arbitrary hypothetical fictional example, but if you start a post, maybe after a few bourbon and cokes, such as a big rant about the programmer not having done certain things in all these years or they don't just work more with modders "Throw us a freaking bone!", but THEN after a few drunken paragraphs, you realize how fruitless it all is to say a damn thing, you can just STOP and move to another thread. Nobody knows and essentially it just disappears...

Yes, I know that. Either just navigate to a different thread or click your browser's "Back" button to get back to the previous menu. Neither option is ideal, in my opinion.

Firstly, navigating to another thread would first require scrolling to the top of the page to access the menu. Yeah, I know, "The Horror!", but if you happen to be at the bottom of a page, it's a small hassle.

Secondly, while a person might want to cancel their comment, maybe they don't want to necessarily leave the thread. Maybe they are just not happy with the formatting of their comment and want to start all over again. I've actually already experienced this in the short time I've been here.

I was merely observing that many, if not most other forum sites I visit, have a "Cancel" button to cancel a post being made without leaving the thread. It just seems to me that if there is a button for "Submit Reply", there should also be a button for "Cancel", or "Cancel Reply".

Like I said, it's a minor thing, and I'm starting to feel sorry for having mentioned it.

Edit: I'm also aware that certain forum functionalities might simply not be available, depending on the type of monthly subscription plan purchased by BFC from Invision Community.

Edited by Rob2020

5 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

you can just STOP and move to another thread. Nobody knows and essentially it just disappears

In my experience it will still be there when you land on that thread again if you hit the Reply button. No-one but you will have seen it, but click Reply and your lingering text comes back to haunt you.  Sometimes you might think "Why did I not press the 'Submit Reply' button?"  Other times you might think "TFFT".

4 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

In my experience it will still be there when you land on that thread again if you hit the Reply button. No-one but you will have seen it, but click Reply and your lingering text comes back to haunt you.  Sometimes you might think "Why did I not press the 'Submit Reply' button?"  Other times you might think "TFFT".

Good point! I haven't mentioned this because I didn't want the discussion to get too complicated. I had this happen to me the other day when I posted a reply in this thread, wherein I unintentionally included a quote from member IanL in one of my replies to someone else. It's the post right below the one that has the Pat Benetar YouTube video.

So yeah, it seems that if you start to make a post, then change your mind and navigate away from it, then come back to the thread at some later time to write a newer post, whatever was there from the previous time will still be there. Not sure if this happens every time, but it certainly happened to me in the example above. And, of course, by the time I noticed it, it was too late to edit.

Another good reason to perhaps include a "Cancel" button, which would/should simply erase/delete a post-in-the-making.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another thing I find odd about these forum pages.

There's no hotlink back to the store front page. It's like these forum pages and the store pages are two totally unrelated websites.

There's a banner across the top of every page of these forums, but clicking on it just takes a person back to the top forum menu. There's already the "Home" button near the top that does that, so I think the banner at the very top of the page should take a person to the front of the store page, especially since that banner contains the BFC logo.

The way it is now, in order to go from these forum pages to the store front page, a person has to utilize their own browser bookmarks, assuming they have the store front page bookmarked.

Am I missing something here? It would seem to me that a company would want smooth transitions between it's various web pages, not require potential customers to access their browser bookmarks to navigate from one part of a company's website to another.

Edited by Rob2020
My sex life is like a Ferrari - I don't have one.

• 3 weeks later...

Still yet another irritating thing about these forums:

When I'm looking at the list of threads, the right-hand side of the page shows the name of the last person that replied to a thread, along with the date of that last reply. Clicking on that date will of course take me to that last comment in the thread, as expected and as it should.

However, clicking on a thread header along the left-hand side of the page does the same thing, when instead it should be taking me to the first comment in the thread. This is especially annoying if a person wants to read a multi-page thread from the beginning, because no matter what you click on, it will take you to the last comment, from where you have to make your way back to the first page.

Addendum: In fact, as I'm currently browsing my way through this particular forum, it's becoming increasingly irritating always having to scroll up to the top of a page to get to the first post in a thread. Am I missing something?

Edited by Rob2020
I heard your Momma had surgery to have her love handles removed. Now she has no ears.