How do you watch replays?

I don't really have a precise formula. In general I think it's a good idea to start with the big picture. Set a camera angle that lets you see all of your unit icons at once, and note important events to zoom in on later, such as where casualties occur (so that I can investigate what caused the casualties). Once I've got the big picture I start zooming in on smaller events. If the scenario has developed into several distinct actions I like to get a close up view of each action. I definitely make a point of getting a close up view of anything particularly cool or cinematic that happens during the turn. And sometimes I like to view the turn once with all visual aids (unit icons, objectives, landmarks, hit text) turned off to get a better impression of what the battle actually looks like (it's amazing how invisible the battlefield can become when every unit doesn't have a brightly colored icon above them).

But all of that is just when I'm being really meticulous. When I'm being a bit more fast and loose I tend to just follow whatever looks interesting and I may be more likely to miss stuff. So the most important thing I do is that I save each and every turn, so I can always go back and view it again if I realize that I missed something. I rarely skip through a turn unless things are exceptionally uneventful.

Nice description by @Centurian52 I do nearly exactly the same but I don't save each and every turn for later review. I do frequently watch turns with the camera locked on specific units that I have already identified as being involved in something interesting.

One thing I do in addition is: normally I press the BRB with the camera positioned, as @Centurian52, suggests to see the whole battlefield (typically camera position three or four) so I can start the next turn already with the camera in position. However, if something dramatic is unfolding or I have some unit doing something tricky that requires attention I might keep my camera on level one or two. An example is a tank that is taking aim just as the minute ends or a squad that I am trying to give buddy aid that is having trouble getting into position. That way I remember to adjust orders or just have an enjoyable start to the next turn.

I pretty much follow what @Centurian52 does but additionally I always use the + key to cycle through my units to see if anyone else got wiped out or took incoming fire. It's easy to miss an icon disappearing if they all get hit by artillery, especially for smaller teams like HQs and scouts, or fire making your men go to ground if they didn't take any casualties.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache