Beta Demo AI Pulls A Fast One (Is Something Wrong?)

While playing the Germans in Last Defense I encountered something totally new to me--at least a battalion volley of American smoke. Having not done well in duels with the M-18s (killed one Hellcat for loss of both StuGs and the Tiger), I was pushing the infantry forward into buildings lining the angled road and had ordered up a smoke mission from the 81s in support. Next thing I knew the entire middle of the board disappeared. There was so much towering smoke that I could scarcely see to move my men, no matter which way I viewed the field. It extended from the main road all the way to the lone house on the angled road, from just past the house in the field all the way back to the road in front of the last of the single story houses. And that's not counting the ones that landed offboard to my FAR left and the ones which landed WAY behind the dominant ridge.

It was an impressive and disruptive show (gutted my MG support), but was this a glitch?

Sadly, even though it provided considerable concealment, there were too many Americans, too close, with too many crossfires. The SS tried...and died.

John Kettler

There is a way to toggle smoke on and off. Can't remember the hotkey command right now, SHIFT-S maybe? Hit the "HOTKEYS" button at the bottom of the game interfacd (when you're in 3D view), that lists them all.

BTW, the smoke thing John described is a bug in the beta demo IIRC.

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, this is related to a design flaw with artillery in the Beta Demo. Artillery missions produced patterns that were too wide. Therefore a smoke barrage winds up all over the freaking place instead of in a concentrated area :) Long since fixed though.

Steve