Did anyone see the Movie Nurenberg!!!

Guest Rommel22

Guest Rommel22

It was just on TV here in the States. California that is. Good movie and for once hollywood made it somewhat historicaly accurate than ther movies. It focuses mainly on Goering. The way Goering is potryed is a strange one, I am not sure if he really acted like this. He was a jokester and didn't take the trial seriously at all. Other than that the movie was great.

But wasn't Manstein, Guderian, in Nurenberg too??? They had jodl, Keitlet they had a lot of people I never heard of before. Thats ok though.

Good movie.

------------------

Russian tactics as said by von Mellenthin "Bridge heads everywhere"

As usual in a Hollywood production, certain dramatic liberties were taken but, IIRC the actual events (it's been years since I read up on it), the basic facts and characterizations were accurate. Goering pretty much tried to run the show, while Speer and Frank were the repentant ones. And suspicion focused on the GI guard as the one who slipped Goering the cyanide capsule. The only two Wehrmacht generals on trial were Keitel and Jodl (both were hanged), and Raeder and Doenitz were the only two admirals (both got prison sentences). Political and bureaucratic leaders were mainly represented in the defendants' dock, and quite a few hanged, not just the total of seven the movie represented. BTW the psychiatrist Gilbert wrote a very good book about the trials.

Cheers

Bill Acton

------------------

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Anon

Is this the movie where Spencer tracy is the Judge? An very old black&white movie? IIRC the movie portrais only the part of the Nuremberg trials where the high ranking Nazi leaders were judged ( along the names you mentioned was also Albert von Speer, who was responsible for the war production in Germany). Many of those who were not sentenced to death adopted later important positions in germany for rebuilding the country. Ah yeah, and Maximillian Schell played the role of the advocat. This guy also acted as a high ranking german general in " A bridge to far" and Hauptmann Stransky in " the "Iron Cross".

Schugger

I thought it was pretty good. I've got to hand it to TNT they're the only ones cranking out fairly accurate historical movies about little covered subjects on a regular basis including The Hunley, Andersonville, The Rough Riders and Buffalo Soldiers, etc, etc.

Los

(Not to mention Gettysburg...still waiting for that on DVD!)

Guest Rommel22

Yes as much as I hate Ted turner, his company (TNT) does pump out historicly accurate movies. The Hunley was a wonderful movie.

I knew that that soldier watching Goering was going to give him the poison. Did this really happen (historicaly)??? Goering seemed really uhmm.... sort of a nice guy in the movie, a guy you can really talk or something. He reminds me of my neighbor.

------------------

Russian tactics as said by von Mellenthin "Bridge heads everywhere"

Yea,Ted T can really "get into" some of these productions...including Gettysburg.He's an officer in Pickett's Charge.He appears,at a picket fence,sword raised and shouting to the men when he is then shot.On screen all of 5 seconds.We need to get TNT off the dime on getting Gettysburg on DVD.Hands down the most accurate war movie ever made,IMHO

Charlie

(Not to mention Gettysburg...still waiting for that on DVD!)

You mean my favorite movie of all time, Gettysburg, is not on DVD?!? I was planning on buying a DVD for Christmas just so I can watch Gettysburg. Guess it'll have to wait.

And don't get me into a discussion about DVD. I don't watch movies very much and I just don't think the perceived differences in picture quality between VHS and DVD is worth the extra bucks.

"And don't get me into a discussion about DVD. I don't watch movies very much and I just don't think the perceived differences in picture quality between VHS and DVD is worth the extra bucks."

Steve,

Give DVD its due. My wife bought me one and I almost immediately ordered Das Boat. You have many more options with DVD. There are directors cuts, added scenes and also segments on the "making of". This movie is also able to be played in German with subtitles or dubbed. There is also an option to play the entire movie with the director and some cast members discussing it. Finally, there is an index to quickly jump to a particular scene. I think DVD is well worth it-- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

Yes as much as I hate Ted turner, his company (TNT) does pump out historicly accurate movies. The Hunley was a wonderful movie.

I knew that that soldier watching Goering was going to give him the poison. Did this really happen (historicaly)??? Goering seemed really uhmm.... sort of a nice guy in the movie, a guy you can really talk or something. He reminds me of my neighbor.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rommel, historically, it is unknown where Goering got his poison, although the evidence does suggest his guard, who, IIRC, was later seen wearing Goerings watch, presuambly given to him by Goering.

As far as Goering being a nice guy, that was a *very* common perception amongst those whom he had contact with. He was consistently seen as charming, helpful, and in control. Reconciling that with his crimes must have been somewhat disturbing.

Jeff Heidman

Unless you have a ****ty TV or more importantly a ****ty sound systenm there's no comparison between DVD and VHS particularly in the sound dept and more importnatly all the extra nice features and whatnot (esp directors/producers comments and deleted scenes) that you get in DVD.

Los