Apple Mac Mini m2 entry level... anyone using it with CMBN?

LucaP

• LucaP changed the title to Apple Mac Mini m2 entry level... anyone using it with CMBN?
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, LucaP said:

Apple Mini m2 entry level... anyone using it with CMBN?

Just for the record. Yesterday, I got a Mac mini 2023 M2 to replace my old Mac mini 2014. I installed CMCW and gave it a try. Be warned, I didn't play a full game, nor did I spend more than a few minutes toying with it, anyway it seems that CM runs just fine on the new machine, even better than it did on my older Intel-based Mac. 
May be a little tinkering with the graphics settings is in order, but that's it.

• 10 months later...

From 2017 iMac to... not a Mac Mini, but opted for the Mac Studio as my update. Still a week or so before delivery, but I hope the M2 Max and memory bandwidth are worth the expense.

Mini: 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 10-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 100GB/s memory bandwidth

Studio: 12-core CPU with 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 30-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 400GB/s memory bandwidth

For CM, cores probably won't make a diff, GPU cores might, RAM and memory bandwidth hopefully.

(CM wasn't the only contributing factor to Studio vs Mini)

Initial review:
Time Machine backup the old iMac, boot the new Studio, use Time Machine to move everything to the new machine, short fiddling with the MX Master 2S mouse, then launch Red Thunder.

Swapped the resolution to Desktop (2560x1440), up the models to best, textures to best, exit, restart, and like the comment on the Mini above, just a few minutes toying around, but very nice. No reactivation, nothing.

On 2/27/2024 at 11:10 PM, herr_oberst said:

Initial review:
Time Machine backup the old iMac, boot the new Studio, use Time Machine to move everything to the new machine, short fiddling with the MX Master 2S mouse, then launch Red Thunder.

Swapped the resolution to Desktop (2560x1440), up the models to best, textures to best, exit, restart, and like the comment on the Mini above, just a few minutes toying around, but very nice. No reactivation, nothing.

Different monitor, 3008x1692 is usable in 27", now to see how it plays in CMFI.