Scenarios creation questions

PEB14

I'm trying to build a very small scenario, just to test the editor. And I must thank the community for its help because, without the advices that can be find here, on YouTube or at FGM forum, I probalby wouldn't have gone far…

I nevertheless have two questions for which I didn't fin any answer... yet.

The first is related to windows and doors layout of buildings. Game manual states that you can change this layout with Ctrl + Left Click (or Alt + Ctrl + Left Click for the whole facade). Unfortunately, Ctrl + Left Click only changes the damage level of the facade. Alt + Left has no effect at all, whereas it should "change buidling details".

I'm playing CMBN, and the aforementioned buildings are independant (non-modular) houses…

Second question is much less important as it is more a customization matter. I've find how you can set a unit commander. Is it possible to change also the commander in second's name?

Edited by PEB14
multiple typos

The modular buildings allow you to cycle through various facade arrangements of door, long window, window(s), nothing at all just solid, damaged and totally gone.

They ship with I think 8 options for textures. 

The independent buildings just have a few (2?) choices of the texture you see but no cycling of door/window arrangement. 00, 01, etc.

Each unit can be renamed. select it and then click rename.

It goes to the senior guy of that unit. if he is KIA, then it defaults to the random name of the lucky replacement.

EDIT: oh, I read again. commander in second's name. IN THE SAME UNIT? No, not possible.

for example platoon HQ can be named as "Meyer" and you see in the game this man's name.

If he has other men in that platoon HQ and he is KIA, you can't pre-pick and have waiting "Warner"

Edited by kohlenklau

Hello,

One more question, this time related to the tac/strat/op maps of the scenarios' briefings. I'm astonished by the quality of the maps produced by most people. I'm thinking of Jon Sowden's / UltraDave's which are described in the Sheriff of Oosterbeek Scen Desisgn AAR, by example, but there are equally good designs around. By the way, JonS doen's go into much details in the way and the tools he uses to draw these maps.

I don't even consider the possibility to handraw all of this with Photoshop, Gimp or something similar, so I'm wondering how you guys do to produce these nice maps? Do you have templates, do you use some specific software?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,

PEB

The official templates are at CMMODS at FGM. I THINK

Do a forum search and you can often find where the "dead horse has been beaten to death" already.

translation: previous in depth lengthy discussions you can gain knowledge from versus a repeat discussion

Edited by kohlenklau

Mon ami NOT Mon amor. 😮 

My additional 2 Euro cents.

I guess I get lazy for briefings as the years have gone by. I DO enjoy to write the text file briefing in a certain style. I can share a few below here. You find "your" style. 

The strat map I just put my kohlenklau logo! 

The Op Map maybe I just put some cool cropped image. or even leave blank. LAZY MAN

The Tac Map I am even getting lazier and don't do. But I used to make my own style with a screenshot of the CM map from up at level 6. I will hunt down some examples.

The point is, you don't have to emulate the BFC style for the briefing if you don't want to. But it is a good place to start I suppose.

CMFB "Busting Out of Bras"...

Play as Axis vs Allied AI only.

1115, 19 December 1944. 8 km east of Bastogne, Belgium. A dense fog reduces visibility.
General Bayerlein has created a special group to lead the Panzer-Lehr Division on its way to cross the Meuse River. You are Leutnant Hartmann in charge of the motorized "spitze" composed of pioneer troops, scouts, some half-tracks and 2 tanks. 
^
You have only 20 to maybe 30 minutes so use your assigned forces to rapidly press onward and exit off any of the zones marked "Routes forward"...
^
Your forces: On map, you in your 250/1, a kubelwagen and 2 scout teams checking the road on foot. At T=5, the rest of your force arrives. No off-map support is assigned.
^
This is the 3rd day of the secret offensive and the US Army is alerted to our intentions. We do not know what awaits us beyond the fog. These roads are not normally mined as they are the MSR for the allied forces. However, you must keep a close eye for mines just placed on top of the road. Also, watch where any US vehicles travel and it should assure you those areas are safe.
^
Press onward carefully but as fast as possible.
^
EXIT your force: Denies the enemy 100 pts.
DESTROY American Forces: up to 100pts.
Other hidden touch objectives: up to 40 pts.

Map: 1000m x 320m

CMRT "A Bridge Too Far-ski"

image.jpeg.5ea02f1c44235cf700c817cddc32c74a.jpeg

^
Near Warsaw, September 1944. 
^
You are Major Grabnakov, a veteran Red Army cavalry officer. You were severely wounded in combat during the Bagration Offensive. Now you command a scratch detachment of vehicles and reconnaissance troops...
^
A small force of German Fallschirmjagers have landed by glider to take and hold a key bridge over the Vistula while awaiting a panzer kampfgruppe coming from the west.
^
Attack with your available forces to bust through the enemy and take positions to block the panzer force.
^
You have 20-25 minutes to complete your mission. Points are given for destroying the enemy but mostly for exiting your force off the west map edge. This symbolizes you have been able to block the enemy reinforcements somehow.

Good luck Comrade!

image.jpeg.acef0a4784e97dfb710e15a16fc076f2.jpeg

CMFI AFRICA CUTTING OUT A STRONGPOINT

^
1330, 19 December 1941. 7 miles south of Halfaya Pass,
Egypt. During the tedious days of confining the Axis to
their ring of frontier fortresses around Halfaya, HQ 4th
South African Infantry Brigade authorized a small
operation to eliminate an enemy forward position. This
strongpoint, manned by mostly Italian troops of the 55th
Savona Divisione, was making a nuisance of itself by
firing on Allied reconnaissance patrols. B Company, 2nd
Royal Durban Light Infantry was assigned to the task of
"removing" it. The sky is a haze of dry desert dust kicked
up by a light wind from the south. It is hot.
^
You are Lieutenant Nettlestock of B Coy, 2RDLI. You have
your rifle platoon. A forward observer is assigned with a
limited number of mortar bomb at his disposal. Brigade has
promised they will will send light support vehicles from
both the 2nd South African AT Regiment and the 6th South
African Armoured Car Regiment to support your attack. They
should arrive 5 to 10 minutes after your attack starts.  
^
Your mission is to assault and clear out the strongpoint.
^
The Italians and some Germans are in trenches surrounded
by a belt of anti-tank mines. Reports indicate they have
several heavy weapons dug-in and also have artillery
support. The axis have mechanized forces only a few miles
away which may respond to assist the strongpoint's
defence.
^
You are observing that the terrain is mostly flat but some
depressions known as "deirs" may offer concealment as you
make your approach. You have 20-25 minutes to complete
your mission. The tench position is the terrain objective