Where's my MG?

Playing a QB PBEM in Red Thunder, latest patch (2.12), as the Soviets.

I have a heavy machinegun team with an MG that won't deploy.  The status reads as "Not Deployed".  Watching the replay of the latest turn, the gunner shows the MG and then a pistol then the MG then a pistol.  No one has been injured.  The deployment time isn't changing, the deploy command is not available.  Totally puzzled.  They are on the third floor of a building, but they are shooting rifles out the windows.  What's going on with this?  I really need this MG in this sector to be operating!

Thoughts? Suggestions?  Sympathy? ;)

I can only offer sympathy and that attempting to get any unit set up in buildings in Combat Mission is a matter of chance.

Combat Mission is a game of abstracts in many cases, and it would be great if somehow we could abstract the unit as actually positioning itself to fire out the window they are next to.

I doubt you're doing anything to foul it, probably just that the action square doesn't fit the room and window properly, or something. I reckon we've all experienced similar. And welcome to the boards mate.

Edited by landser

Also...  It can take several minutes for a HMG to deploy in a building.  As landser says, once the HMG does deploy, that does not guarantee that the HMG will have LOS or fire out of the desired window.  That is when one sees the unit using rifles instead of the HMG gunner firing.

However, IIRC an undeployed HMG can fire - like it is a light MG with decreased accuracy.

One of the big problems with support weapons like HMG's and guns is that when you try and get the gunner to focus the main weapon on an enemy to which some of its crew has LOS, the action may cause the support unit gunner to lose LOS and one then sees the phenomenon of the gun/HMG constantly switching positions - acquiring LOS and then losing LOS in an unending loop.  It's not uncommon to see tank guns doing that.  (When the turret swivels to pint at an enemy, the gunner loses LOS, and the turret swivels back to the original position.  At that point the gunner again gets LOS and the turret swivels, only to lose LOS again... ad infinitum.

How long did you wait to deploy the MG? 

In buildings the time to deploy rises significantly. Where in the countryside you may need just  several seconds to deploy you'll need several minutes in a house (usually somewhat under 3 minutes maximum) 

All Soviet hmg in CMRT don't need a "deploy" command as far as I know. As long as they don't have a movement command active, they start deploying on their own. 

There is a bug that the gunner of the MG squad will constantly move around in finding a position. But he'll  circle around forever with never ever starting the deployment phase. 

I made the experience that it is somewhat related to the "face" command. 

If that problem happens to you just move them out of their position and back in. Maybe then try to let them deploy without the "face" command.