Fighting from half-tracks?

Can guys riding in half-tracks increase the firepower of the half-track, or must they deploy first to shoot? In other words, should you always unload the troops and have the half-track crew operate by itself as a light armor unit, or does it work better to keep the sqad riding when going into a battle with tanks?

------------------

I fought the Law and the Law won.

troops cannot fight from halftracks. There has been discussion about embarked troops shooting on the move. suggest a search.

right now it is exactly as you described in your post, id est, you have to deploy the infantry for it to shoot, and the Halftrack accompanies them as a seperate unit.

Guest Zulu1

Hi Lawyer,

Embarked troops cannot shoot from any vehicle. Get in the back of a pickup and ride over a rough field with a gun in 1 hand. If you don't get thrown out (disclamer - do not try this at home smile.gif), see if you can aim at anything, let alone hit anything.

Also, it is a good idea to unload the troops as a hit will waste most of your squad. Half tracks are pretty fragile and going up against tanks will likely mean a dead half track. 50 cal can easily penetrate German tracks and German mg's also easily kill Allied half tracks.

John wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

wouldn't that work?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Define work... Yes, undoubtably bullets would leave the chamber of the gun going *generally* the right direction... but try hitting something more than 50m away. Now try the same experiment with someone shooting at you. I agree that it could work, and undoubtedly happened. But its much more likely that people just kept their heads down. And even if they didn't, the actaul combat effect of such actions was negligeble.

--Chris

Thanks for the suggestion, Zulu. Actually, I do have some definite Redneck blood and behavior tendencies, so riding down the road firing-out-the-truck may be just my style.

I'm comin' at ya! Listen for the rebel yell (bottled and verbal). Waaahooooo.

Cheers

------------------

I fought the Law and the Law won.

Guest Bad Ju Ju

It's a known fact that German halftracks used to ride along while infantry squads hung outside and whacked down Allied mailboxes. smile.gif

------------------

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called MR. Evil." Dr. Evil

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad Ju Ju:

It's a known fact that German halftracks used to ride along while infantry squads hung outside and whacked down Allied mailboxes. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Oh my sides hurt. ouch, leave my ribs alone......Should have had a warning on that one! I pictured a 251/1 hauling ass down a road with a rifle 44 squad drinking beer and swinging fausts at mailboxes. biggrin.gif

Standard doctrine for passengers when being fired on is to get the hell out. Dismount. Seek cover most ricky-tick. Fighting it out from the back of the vehicle is not an option.

The role of the APC is to get you through enemy artillery and into the battle area. It is not a fighting vehicle per se.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

Sorry Babra, while you may (or may not) be correct about WW2 doctrine etc, I know of several instances where infantry fought from half tracks. For instance, a rapidly advancing column who encounters light or scattered resistance can drive through or attack this resistance while remaining mounted if dismounting will slow the advance. You may not need to take the time to dismount and plan a deliberate attack. Sometimes speed of advance is more important than jumping out of your tracks everytime a minor roadblock is encountered. The bottom line is that, rather than 'legislating' that infantry may not fight out of halftracks, give the player the option to do so if he wants to. If he pays the price by using them that way, then he pays the price.

Let me point one other thing out .. fighting from a halftrack does not necessarily mean firing out of it while moving. firing from a stationary halftrack is possible too you know.

Just my two cents. From "Panzergrenadiers in Action" squadron/signal Pubs..

" Panzergrenadiers were originally intended to fight from their vehicles. It soon became obvious that this would not be possible in most conditions, and the standard practice was to reach the best positon for an assault and then dismount and attack as infantry, with the vehicles providing fire support with machine guns, or light cannon, which were issued to platoon leaders' vehicles."

I think you should be able to fire from a vehicle but at reduced firepower--esp when moving..

oh well,

Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet