New Video: Domfluff gives us a guided tour through the wonderful world of Cold War Soviet doctrine

On 1/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, ALBY said:

This is not as easy as it looks. One of my PBEM opponents is shooting up my MRB as I write this.   My addition to the topic here is that the ‘psychological’ aspect of CM is HUGE!  

I am taking losses and it is causing me to slow or change plans which you cannot do with the Soviets. 

failing forward I guess. At least my opponent is having fun with the target practice. ;)  

Oh yes I can confirm this. Not having seen two tanks behind a patch of trees basicly cost me a company. I'm starting to understand why Domfluff puts as many points into artillery as he does.

At the end of my last video I promised to upload the bits of the conversation that @domfluff and I had and that didn't make it into the video, as a podcast. That's up now. Also included is an extra bit that we recorded later, where we answer some of the questions that were frequently asked in the comment section.

So, if you've got a long commute ahead of you, or it's your turn to do the dishes, or there is some other reason why you can't play CM.... here you go 😉.

Edited by Free Whisky

7 hours ago, Free Whisky said:

At the end of my last video I promised to upload the bits of the conversation that @domfluff and I had and that didn't make it into the video, as a podcast. That's up now. Also included is an extra bit that we recorded later, where we answer some of the questions that were frequently asked in the comment section.

So, if you've got a long commute ahead of you, or it's your turn to do the dishes, or there is some other reason why you can't play CM.... here you go 😉.

Really interesting conversation. The tests you did on T-62’s vs M60’s was eye opening. The M60 won 8/10 at “close range” and 9/10 at “long range”. Those are not good odds.

Another test would be groups of T62’s vs single M60’s. How many tanks can an M60 take out before the T62’s take it out. Do numbers really even out spotting?

Edited by Simcoe

Love the podcast :)@Free Whisky@domfluff

@Simcoe I did a quick test platoon vs company. Smoke from burning tanks are a problem for spotting!!

Platoon M60A1 (Rise+) (5 tanks) vs Company T-62 (1975) (Opened up) (10 tanks)

Round1, after 2 minutes, five destroyed M60 and five destroyed T-62.

Round2, after 2 minutes, four destroyed M60 and seven destroyed T-62.

Round3, after 2 minutes, five destroyed M60 and six destroyed T-62.

Round 4, after 2 minutes, three destroyed M60 and eight destroyed T-62.

Edited by ratdeath

2 hours ago, ratdeath said:

@Simcoe I did a quick test platoon vs company. Smoke from burning tanks are a problem for spotting!!

Great work! Would you be able to do a platoon of T-62 against one M60? It might counteract the smoke issue.

8 hours ago, ratdeath said:

How far is the distance between the M60 and the T62?

7 minutes ago, domfluff said:

I do have some issues with that testing method, or what it's actually showing, but it's interesting. Like many things in that vein, I do think it's worth being extremely cautious what lessons you're extracting from it.

I agree, it's mostly for fun :) Doesn't really tell us the whole truth (much less any real life comparison).

The battlefield is much more complex than x number of tanks having a duel!

4 hours ago, ratdeath said:

I agree, it's mostly for fun :) Doesn't really tell us the whole truth (much less any real life comparison).

The battlefield is much more complex than x number of tanks having a duel!

Indeed. Sample size too small. Battlefield is more complex. T-62 can do better with the help of C2. However for the soviet, close-ranged tank warfare in open terrain was desirable. If you can't win(like Round 4) under such condition, it really does hurt. It could be seen as a test of the commander's will once it happens.

Edited by IdontknowhowtodoX