Ammo levels

Was wondering what the basic load is for the infantry units. I just fought a defense against what had to be a German PZGDR battalion. I had two airborne rifle platoons with plenty of support weapons. After the game ended at 21 minutes (only the last 15 actually contained combat) the AI was finally able to get a foothold in one of the buildings of the ville I was defending, only because my guys were all low on ammo and so didnt have a way of keeping them out. And that includes most of my supporting MG's and MTRs. Now I know combat units go through ammo quick. Though I think they went through it a lot slower in WWII then they did in say Vietnam because the weapon systems were different. Just settle my curiosity how you came up with the ammo figures.

Are the basic loads for airborne units smaller then conventional units?

How about a patch to the Quick Battle setup that allows a defender to stockpile ammo in a Assault or Attack scenario?

Apologize if this issue has been covered before, I just dont have the time to browse all THREE CM posts.

Thanks for your time.

You're probably aware of this, but first the stock answer: The ammunition in CM is abstracted – you get, on average, 40 'bursts' per squad (more for an MG), whereafter they can still fire, but will only do so infrequently and in self-defence.

Airborne units in CM have the same number of 'bursts' as regular units. When designing a scenario, you can allocate more or less ammo to indicate differing levels of supply. I think the maximum is 50 or 60.

As far as stockpiling is concerned, this only figures in operations. In a battle you get one ammo loadout. In an operation, your men can rearm between battles.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

IIRC, the standard load for a M1 Garand was something like 176 rds (22 8-round clips). Of course, most troops would scrounge extra ammo. Airborne troops in particular would drop with as much ammo as they could carry since resupply was obviously not a sure thing.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

More ammo for Vets???

After all, Vets need even less ammo to do the job at hand!

Thats why we call them Vets.

Ammo in CM is abstracted. You don't have 40 "rounds", but 40 "bursts". A lot of tactical wargames use "bursts" and it works quite nice.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission