Mini-AAR: A Soviet Breakthrough

IICptMillerII

Here is a quick and dirty AAR for a scenario I've been working on for Combat Mission Cold War. It should be noted that this is a test run through of this scenario. It features two Soviet tank battalions in the attack against a US cavalry troop, with me playing as the Soviets. The goal for the Soviets is to force a breakthrough. High losses are expected but acceptable if a breakthrough is achieved.

CR5Hhx7.jpg

The goal of the initial fires and maneuver plan is to compartmentalize the battlefield by isolating the far left and far rear enemy positions with smoke, while pummeling suspected strongpoints with massed artillery fire before reducing them with massed direct fire

iQHhEws.jpg

The results are rough.

XphrpiQ.jpg

8BXlIyL.jpg

jCPUtF1.jpg

The enemy strongpoints along their main line of resistance are reduced, but it costs the entirety of 1st battalions tanks to do so

DLAOET6.jpg

2nd battalion (having arrived as reinforcements) is tasked with carrying on the attack to affect a breakthrough

dO16y4M.jpg

To support their efforts, the artillery fires are pushed deeper into the map to suppress known/suspected enemy strongpoints. The town will be bypassed unless an AT threat remains, in which case 1st battalion's infantry will assault and clear the town.

And the result of the effort:

IlUmcBE.png

2nd battalion is able to reduce the remaining strongpoints and force a breakthrough, taking relatively few losses in the process.

Of the 40 tanks lost in the attack, 30 are from 1st battalion in their effort to smash through the MLR.

Brief Analysis:

Could this have gone better for the Soviets? 

I think there are two answers to that question.

1) The entire scenario is a forced breach against a solid defense, so heavy losses are inevitable. A big part of the Soviet dilemma is choosing where to take the inescapable beating, or put nicer, spend the combat power. In this case I chose to spend 1st battalion breaking the enemy main line of resistance. The result was 1st battalion getting destroyed, but it was not in vain. 1st battalion reduced enough of the strongpoints that 2nd battalion was able to blow through and achieve a breakthrough with minimal losses.

2) The fires plan could also have placed the smoke in a way that would have isolated all but one strongpoint (as opposed to leaving two open). By blinding all but one, it would have made the initial direct fire engagement with my tanks less one sided, but would have created more difficulties later. I've drawn up another graphic of this modified fires plan, this one:

oMBhWQj.jpg

The downside to this is that while it shields the attacker at first, it also puts them in a tough spot that they still have to fight out of. With the far right strongpoint reduced, that still leaves the center and rear right strongpoint to deal with, and the far left strongpoint can still put fire into the kill zone (engagement area) as well, which means follow on forces are more at risk.

There are a few tweaks I'm planning to make (the addition of another battery of 152mm 2S3's as noted in the revised fires plan graphic) and I am also waiting on a friend of mine to finish a playthrough to see those results. This will hopefully be revisited and given a more detailed AAR in the future, but for now I thought this would be a fun pocket sized AAR. 

50 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Here is a quick and dirty AAR for a scenario I've been working on for Combat Mission Cold War. It should be noted that this is a test run through of this scenario. It features two Soviet tank battalions in the attack against a US cavalry troop, with me playing as the Soviets. The goal for the Soviets is to force a breakthrough. High losses are expected but acceptable if a breakthrough is achieved.

CR5Hhx7.jpg

The goal of the initial fires and maneuver plan is to compartmentalize the battlefield by isolating the far left and far rear enemy positions with smoke, while pummeling suspected strongpoints with massed artillery fire before reducing them with massed direct fire

iQHhEws.jpg

The results are rough.

XphrpiQ.jpg

8BXlIyL.jpg

jCPUtF1.jpg

The enemy strongpoints along their main line of resistance are reduced, but it costs the entirety of 1st battalions tanks to do so

DLAOET6.jpg

2nd battalion (having arrived as reinforcements) is tasked with carrying on the attack to affect a breakthrough

dO16y4M.jpg

To support their efforts, the artillery fires are pushed deeper into the map to suppress known/suspected enemy strongpoints. The town will be bypassed unless an AT threat remains, in which case 1st battalion's infantry will assault and clear the town.

And the result of the effort:

IlUmcBE.png

2nd battalion is able to reduce the remaining strongpoints and force a breakthrough, taking relatively few losses in the process.

Of the 40 tanks lost in the attack, 30 are from 1st battalion in their effort to smash through the MLR.

Brief Analysis:

Could this have gone better for the Soviets? 

I think there are two answers to that question.

1) The entire scenario is a forced breach against a solid defense, so heavy losses are inevitable. A big part of the Soviet dilemma is choosing where to take the inescapable beating, or put nicer, spend the combat power. In this case I chose to spend 1st battalion breaking the enemy main line of resistance. The result was 1st battalion getting destroyed, but it was not in vain. 1st battalion reduced enough of the strongpoints that 2nd battalion was able to blow through and achieve a breakthrough with minimal losses.

2) The fires plan could also have placed the smoke in a way that would have isolated all but one strongpoint (as opposed to leaving two open). By blinding all but one, it would have made the initial direct fire engagement with my tanks less one sided, but would have created more difficulties later. I've drawn up another graphic of this modified fires plan, this one:

oMBhWQj.jpg

The downside to this is that while it shields the attacker at first, it also puts them in a tough spot that they still have to fight out of. With the far right strongpoint reduced, that still leaves the center and rear right strongpoint to deal with, and the far left strongpoint can still put fire into the kill zone (engagement area) as well, which means follow on forces are more at risk.

There are a few tweaks I'm planning to make (the addition of another battery of 152mm 2S3's as noted in the revised fires plan graphic) and I am also waiting on a friend of mine to finish a playthrough to see those results. This will hopefully be revisited and given a more detailed AAR in the future, but for now I thought this would be a fun pocket sized AAR. 

These types of scenarios make me wish we could pair Combat Mission with a game like Flash Point Campaigns.

Most Combat Mission players would take this nice and easy and try to scout out the enemy as Much as possible before sending in the tanks.

We don't get to see American tanks counterattack the slow attack on the flank or a quick Soviet breakthrough catching the headquarters team for the entire American brigade by surprise.

20 hours ago, Simcoe said:

These types of scenarios make me wish we could pair Combat Mission with a game like Flash Point Campaigns.

Most Combat Mission players would take this nice and easy and try to scout out the enemy as Much as possible before sending in the tanks.

We don't get to see American tanks counterattack the slow attack on the flank or a quick Soviet breakthrough catching the headquarters team for the entire American brigade by surprise.

Yup I agree. Keeping the big picture in mind is hard to do because in CM it is usually just extra narrative fluff that people tend to skim or skip entirely.

One of the better ways to make that context more relevant to the player is to impose restrictions, such as the time limit. Giving the player too much time to slowly recon forward and pick apart the defense can be largely mitigated by having a tight time limit on the battle. 

11 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

One of the better ways to make that context more relevant to the player is to impose restrictions, such as the time limit. Giving the player too much time to slowly recon forward and pick apart the defense can be largely mitigated by having a tight time limit on the battle. 

You must be new around here 😉 

P