Bridges damaged by gunfire?

My PBEM partner is firing what looks like a 75mm infantry gun at a vital bridge I am planning to use shortly, can bridges be damaged by gunfire?

Boff :confused

The difference between Americans and the British is that Americans think a hundred years is a long time and the British think a hundred miles is a long way.

Anon.

Doesn't it make a difference what sort of bridge it is? I understood it to be that wooden bridges could be destroyed but stone bridges could not. I know some kind soul ran a series of tests some time back in another thread like this one and I thought that was the upshot.

Personally I've never seen any sort of bridge destroyed in CM, but then I haven't played too many bridge scenarios.

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

I just conducted a controlled scientifical test by creating a scenario with one stone bridge five spans wide, eight Jumbo Shermans and ten Axis trucks.

The trucks were necessary so the AI wouldn't auto surrender on the first move.

My eight Shermies expended their ammo on the same section of the stone bridge. The bridge did not fall down.

Perhaps if twenty Shermans fired all their ammo and then reloaded and did it again, the bridge might fall down. But I would not call that a destroyable bridge for practical game purposes.

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

Right....in a second highly controlled scientifical hexperiment I swapped the previous impregnable stone bridge for a wooden bridge.

The wooden bridge died in short order. Blew up and fell down.

Then the trucks bought it.

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

Guest Madmatt

Try Rocket Artillery, you can destroy that bridge. I have done it.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

My testing ground involves a "land bridge" - which looks like it's stone. No water underneath. I just hit the thing with about two dozen direct hits (plus multiple near misses) from American 240mm artillery.

Rockets might do it (if you can hit it) but them 240s' just made lopsided craters along the edge of the bridge. The road surface was intact.

So what do the Allies use?

OGSF

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I destroyed the stone bridge in Last Defense, with a Tiger. It took 11 hits if I remember correctly...

If he is using something with a higher blast rating, than I imagine it will take less time to blow it out..

Okey Dokey. I've just destroyed three out of four types of bridges with King Tigers. Two wooden ones and a stone one. The three bridges destroyed spanned water.

The fourth bridge is the one I have not been able to destroy with anything, and that is the stone bridge over land.

OGSF

PS Mr Captain Foobar Sir..."they" have been enquiring after you over in the Cesspool. Something about a game with someone...ummm,...Ronan? No, that's not right....someone new....

Originally posted by Boff:

My PBEM partner is firing what looks like a 75mm infantry gun at a vital bridge I am planning to use shortly, can bridges be damaged by gunfire?

Boff :confused

Yes they can. I've blown up a stone bridge with a StuH42 Assault Howitzer (7 to 10 hits I believe).

Now I have a question, will a damaged bridge collaspe under the weight of a tank? Haven't tested this one yet.

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cos:

Originally posted by Boff:

Now I have a question, will a damaged bridge collaspe under the weight of a tank? Haven't tested this one yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that is not modeled to the best of my knowledge.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Originally posted by Cos:

Not to nitpick, but I'd like to nitpick a point. The wooden bridges in CM really shouldn't be able to support heavy tanks crossing them at all. The stone ones, I've no problem with, but the light wood ones...

WWII is full of examples of commanders not just looking for bridges, but looking for the correct kind of bridges in order to cross thier tanks. CM really misses something without that "I can cross my trucks and light armor to the west of town, but I'll need that well defended stone bridge to the east in order to cross my heavy armor" pressure, IMO.

That bridge I mentioned earlier? It now has one star, so yes they can be damaged by fire and yes they do display damage markers. Now I just need to get my tanks across quickly while I've got the gunner pinned down by mortar fire..

Well I'm just wondering now, can the stone "land" bridge be destroyed? The bridges over water can for sure. But that last bridge.....I couldn't kill it.

If anyone wants to replicate my test I'll send you the file. That bridge over land just won't fall down.

OGSF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boff:

That bridge I mentioned earlier? It now has one star, so yes they can be damaged by fire and yes they do display damage markers. Now I just need to get my tanks across quickly while I've got the gunner pinned down by mortar fire..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember to watch out for hidden anti-tank guns/teams before you rush your tanks across the bridge smile.gif