290mm Spigot Mortar is actually only 230mm

Came across this video today that shows that the Churchill AVRE's spigot mortar is only 230mm instead of the 290mm that's been repeated for ages. Did anyone else know this or is it new knowledge for you just like it was for me? Also maybe Battlefront can correct this in the text description for the next patch? Just to keep this thread tangentially CMBN related 😉

It depends how you measure it. It could be a little like the .38 special and .357 magnum round revolvers. Exactly the same bore diameter so you can shoot .38 special rounds in a .357 magnum revolver but not the other way around because they made the .357 magnum round longer. The difference is 60 mm less than a quarter of an Inch. The diameter of the bore is 290mm but the projectile could indeed be 230 mm. The projectile was loaded by dropping it down the barrel the reason it is called a mortar. 

17 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

It depends how you measure it. It could be a little like the .38 special and .357 magnum round revolvers. Exactly the same bore diameter so you can shoot .38 special rounds in a .357 magnum revolver but not the other way around because they made the .357 magnum round longer. The difference is 60 mm less than a quarter of an Inch. The diameter of the bore is 290mm but the projectile could indeed be 230 mm. The projectile was loaded by dropping it down the barrel the reason it is called a mortar. 

If you watch the video I believe it will explain all of your points. @Vacillator has it right that the spigot itself is 29mm and at some point people started equating that to a barrel diameter of 290mm instead of the 230mm it actually is. 60mm is over 2 inches as well so I'm not sure what your point is there.

4 minutes ago, Codreanu said:

60mm is over 2 inches

You need to drop the projectile down the barrel so a play of 1 inch on each end is not much. Too early in the morning here to bother about something trivial. My example with the revolver was one measures the case diameter the other the bore diameter. As I owned these guns before I made it as an example.