Merrill's Marauders Congressional Gold Medal

Hey all,

I just wanted to bring attention to this.  My Grandfather was one of the 200 original Merrill's Marauders who made it out alive and walking on his own power.  He had both dysentery and malaria and was affected with PTSD his entire life.  He was one of that generation that did what they had to do, bore it and never talked about it after.  However, at the end of his life, he talked to me a ton and told me all his stories as he knew I was one who really appreciated it and wanted his knowledge and experiences to save them.

https://www.ausa.org/news/merrills-marauders-recognized-gold-medal?fbclid=IwAR0o4M6oXxhFzpBmpWbgMsAlBXGpPUAjs4ayrBKOjUhG7CX5HMiHKVZvpug

He was only a private, fought on Guadalcanal first and then volunteered for the "secret mission" that became the Marauder's campaign.  They were all heroes and deserve this and it makes me sad only two of them are left alive to receive the honor.  He spent 29 months in the Army during the war.

See my sig.  RIP Grampa.  

Here is a just released documentary about the unit and what they did if you are unaware or interested.  The 75th Ranger Regt. of today traces its lineage directly back to the Marauders.

https://video.kpbs.org/video/they-volunteered-for-this-merrills-marauders-Ty6ODM/?fbclid=IwAR0gx9DGIbIC04z_O63lFgU6Dpmb6g1FwAp7mm3-CQzMnAwRbfiVJpIRH_Y

Edited by Phantom Captain