Its bound to happen

First, I know it is the Gold Demo, the change would of course be applied to the release version, perhaps in the network patch.

Second, I find the voices repetitive and sort of annoying. I found them so in the beta demo as well and in fact made the same request.

Third, It's not a big deal and in fact I attempted to delete the whole topic shortly after I posted it. Actually, I was going to change the post to something innocuous since as soon as I hit the submit button I thought "Hey, let BTS enjoy the afterglow." When I hit the edit button on the post it gave me the option to delete it and so I tried that. Then I left for work secure in the knowledge that this thread was gone. Looks like it isn't so my apologies to BTS for raining on the parade so quickly. It is an amazing accomplishment and I can't wait for my CD to arrive.

Guest Madmatt

Why? Because they didn't code it that way! I was fighting for an extra upward TILT since way back in Novemeber but there were reasons it didn't make it in...At least thats what THEY TOLD ME???!!!!???

Hmmm....anyway...I would recommend AGAINST deleteing files out of directories by the way. The game has this tendency of CRASHING when files are removed. You could replace all the sounds with wav files that are themselves BLANK I suppose. Remember that WHAT the voices say is VERY important. Those are audio ques and give you feedback as to what sort of situation a unit is facing and how they are dealing with it.

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Remember that WHAT the voices say is VERY important. Those are audio ques and give you feedback as to what sort of situation a unit is facing and how they are dealing with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it makes speaking foreign languages really worthwhile... Ever wondered what the Germans said? I don't... biggrin.gif I guess the only ones I am going to have trouble with are the Poles, and the Canadians with their weird dialect (and they say 'aboot', dammit!) tongue.gif

------------------

Andreas

Madmatt said <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...Remember that WHAT the voices say is VERY important. Those are audio ques and give you feedback as to what sort of situation a unit is facing and how they are dealing with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mostly all I hear them say is "move out" or something like that. I turned all sound off after 3 turns of that. If I see a bunch of tracers converge on my guys or something burst into flames I know it's something to worry about and I'll check it out or if I see my guys hitting the dirt and staying there then I get concerned. Tonight when I get home I'll play with the sound on and see if the chatter makes a difference.

Guest tom w

If the Chatter does make a difference why would any of us ever play a side whose language we don't understand.

Its hard for me to believe that understanding what the voices say could have any relevance otherwise all those English only speaking players that LOVE playing the German side might be at "somewhat" of a disadvantage?

no?

I'm not sure the voices are all that helpful and I would really like to know what all that German yelling is about

what;s this one its two words:

owner Ienshtal !?

terrible rough english translation

anyone?

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harold Jones:

Madmatt said Mostly all I hear them say is "move out" or something like that. I turned all sound off after 3 turns of that. If I see a bunch of tracers converge on my guys or something burst into flames I know it's something to worry about and I'll check it out or if I see my guys hitting the dirt and staying there then I get concerned. Tonight when I get home I'll play with the sound on and see if the chatter makes a difference.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Madmatt

When I hear someone say, ENEMY TANK AHEAD or PANZER, then I damn well start looking around...

Every sound that plays is keyed to a specific event that occurs. There are even sounds that play when nothing is going on (i.e. random chatter) but it will be obvious by what they say that there isnt any action. As soon as hell busts loose what they say matters.

There are sounds for moral changes, ammo running low, entering hand to hand, routing, surrendering, taking prisoners, moving out, encountering enemy vehicles, minefields, artillery barrages, rallying, dying, killing something etc...Believe me, learning to master the audio element of CM will make you a more rounded player...

Madmatt...

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-10-2000).]

Guest tom w

Hey Germanboy

Can you give the rest of us a rough translation?

Perhaps spell out what those German soldiers are saying in rough phonetic english and then give us the translation...?

Mostly I figure they say things like

"Lets Get the HELL outta here!"

LOOK LOOK!

Medic!

MOVE MOVE MOVE!

I'm HIT!

stuff like that....

no?

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

And it makes speaking foreign languages really worthwhile... Ever wondered what the Germans said? I don't..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If CM was capable of modeling the imperfect information that a commander really has about a situation then I think that the sound cues would be vital. However, because of UI and horsepower limitations this is not the case. The player has perfect knowledge of every spotted or suspected enemy unit that any unit he controls can see or thinks it can see.

During the replay if I set the scale to max and use one of the overhead views what my guys say is irrelevant because I will see everything that they see as soon as they see it. If during the replay I see a unit take a lot of fire or do a lot of firing I'll check them out otherwise I assume that they are combat capable.

One of the best things about this game is that it doesn't require micromanagement and even rewards an intuitive style of play.

------------------

If something cannot be fixed by hitting it or by swearing at it, it wasn't worth saving anyway.

I'll tell ya something else: I'm even MISSING a sound. I'd like to hear an AFV driver curse real loud whenever his tank get's immobilized (and I don't mean immobilized by enemy fire!)while I'M not looking. smile.gif

Furthermore, I'm with Madmatt here. Not only are there great sound cues, they also add an immense level of immersion. anyone that had CoolcolJ's SPR pack installed can verify that.

Guest tom w

Damn Right !

those Tank drivers should spew Profanity when they get bogged in...

I did notice a sort of Slurping /sucking sound as the tank sinks into the ground but driver's spewing forth profanity for get bogged in

would be MUCH more fun...

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

I'll tell ya something else: I'm even MISSING a sound. I'd like to hear an AFV driver curse real loud whenever his tank get's immobilized (and I don't mean immobilized by enemy fire!)while I'M not looking. smile.gif

Furthermore, I'm with Madmatt here. Not only are there great sound cues, they also add an immense level of immersion. anyone that had CoolcolJ's SPR pack installed can verify that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>