Of Strange New Sounds & Other Matters

I started playing around with the Gold demo CE scenario, to familiarize myself with some of the new features, when I noticed something both odd and annoying. It was a curious electronic shuddering sound, which began as my troops began to move and continued after the turn ended. To further confuse me, the distant crump of artillery was both clear and easily audible.

If that annoying sound was supposed to be MG fire, what do I need to do to fix it? I never had this come up before with the Beta, which had clear, distinct MG firing sounds. I found the new shuddering sound so aggravating I quit the Gold demo. On a related note, is there any way to suppress the blaring music which plays right up to actual scenario start?

Finally, will the finished game be implemented in such a way that I can treat it as a Mac window when it's running? Presently, the only way I can exit the window is to quit the program. I have (and had in the Beta) zero access to my control bar, which, among other things, lets me control the volume.Nor am I able to resize the window.

I have no doubt that you have done some incredible things; I really want to see them, but the new interface problems are a major distraction from a tremendous game.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on the issues I've raised.

Many thanks.

John Kettler

P.S. I forgot to provide platform details--233 MHz iMac under OS 8.6 with 64 MB RAM and 2 MB VRAM (ATI RAGE?) stock video board.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 05-11-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Not sure what the "shuddering" sound is. But try turning off ambient sound (press SHIFT-S once or twice).

You can suppress the intro music by pressing any key.

You can switch out of the CM application to the desktop by pressing the ESC key.

Charles

I'm getting a snapping and hissing sound in the background just before the artillery track starts. It reoccures and cycles throughout the game. It is kind of like a scratchy LP. Just a little annoying but not enough to turn the sounds off.

I'm running this on a G4 400 with video card and 192 megs RAM.

Guest KwazyDog

Another thing you guys might like to try is a reinstall. The sound you describe is very similar to one I heard when I installed a beta off of a CD that had a fingure print on it smile.gif

I forgot to mention that I no longer have troop voices either. I had them in the Beta demo. I know how to use the escape key and such, but I was trying to find out whether the final release would implement CM as a Mac toggleable window with all the features that entails. If not, there ought to be some way to adjust the volume from within the game, rather than just switching sound on and off.

Regards,

John Kettler

The shuddering sound problem is no more. I dumped the Gold demo folder in its entirety, then unpacked the Mac Binary again. I then started the demo, only to encounter the same annoying electronic chatter. Confused as to the in game sound settings, I turned them off and on several times. Voila! Sound--MG chatter, engines, voices and all! I guess that toggling the control unstuck/reset whatever was out of whack.

Thanks for all your help!

John Kettler