Any official documents on the M735's performance?

Bobjack1240

Besides a 1974 XM735 test firing ("Comparative Tank gun Data, January 1974")  and a ballistics test of the 152mm XM579E4 parent round on a XM1 armor test rig (The XM1 Vulnerability Analysis, 1978), I haven't been able to find any other documentation on the round's performance which is surprising because official documentation exists for the XM774's performance. (But, the actual 774 would have probably been more powerful and closer to what we have in game as this was a prototype).

A thing to note about the 1974 test is that the XM735 was only able to penetrate a simulated "T-72 glacis" out to 1.2 kilometers. And another problem with this was that they used a 150mm steel target plate sloped to 60 degrees for the "T-72" which ended up being a NATO heavy single target.

Edited by Bobjack1240

M735 had bad troubles, if I recall my old readings correctly. The round had the nasty habit of sometimes breaking up inside the gun barrel(!) or the sabot petals not separating cleanly, pulling the round (sometimes badly) off course. It also tended to skip off highly angled targets. I recall reading that a lot of the rounds never got delivered to the field. They were made then warehoused. M735A1 the M774 only partially corrected M735's problems. Technical problems didn't get entirely resolved until M900. This off the top of my head, far past my bedtime, trying to recall stuff I read 2 years ago. So take it for what its worth :rolleyes: