Bad and Worse '79..... fighting the Elephant with a toothpick

KiloRomeo

I'm completely at a loss as to this one,

How on earth is a US force (likely depleted from previous skirmishes) of about 150 men tops supposed to take on and defeat a Soviet force that's not only over twice its strength, dug in and set up with anti armour ambushes round every tree, but has superior tanks.

Forgive me but 4 cobras do jack sh*t and Air defence normally plinks one out the sky turn 1.

I cant see how to win this, I've tried massing my armour on the Hill overlooking Marborn which worked well until I tried to advance with the infantry and got cut to pieces in the treeline by invisible foxholes. Also tried rolling round the shallows to the junction only to get rolled by the platoon of T64 coming down the hill...

Really have no idea anymore.

Thanks 

22 hours ago, KiloRomeo said:

I'm completely at a loss as to this one,

How on earth is a US force (likely depleted from previous skirmishes) of about 150 men tops supposed to take on and defeat a Soviet force that's not only over twice its strength, dug in and set up with anti armour ambushes round every tree, but has superior tanks.

Forgive me but 4 cobras do jack sh*t and Air defence normally plinks one out the sky turn 1.

I cant see how to win this, I've tried massing my armour on the Hill overlooking Marborn which worked well until I tried to advance with the infantry and got cut to pieces in the treeline by invisible foxholes. Also tried rolling round the shallows to the junction only to get rolled by the platoon of T64 coming down the hill...

Really have no idea anymore.

Thanks 

That is a tough one.  The best solution I have seen was to amphib across the lake up the middle and short hook your tanks in up that road along the lake.  This one has been beaten but is tricky.

@Ultradave tested that one and beat it, perhaps he can assist.

Edited by The_Capt

That's essentially it. I went across the dam with about 2/3(?) of my force, sent the rest up the road along the lake. Some long range shooting from the far end of the lake to the town, and the 2/3 force that crossed the dam, half of those went up the trail/track through the woods to the hilltop, the rest along the road along that side of the lake. The ones on the hilltop had good sightlines to the enemy in the town, the ones on the lower road eliminated everything down there and were fairly well hidden from the enemy in the town. I won, but it was very bloody. It's a tough one.

I don't remember the exact split of forces, but that may help. Take your time, try to find hull down positions when you are on that hilltop, or else you'll pay dearly. (basically creep up towards the top to get a look down the other side)

Dave