Custom units/formations/factions in CMSF2

scatoogle

Kinda-sorta. You probably need to start with a given formation, delete nearly everything and rebuild it with individual teams and vehicles attached where you want 'em. Gets *real* expensive in QB points since each individual element has a premium on its points cost over the same thing bought as part of an OOB, but if you're designing a scenario, that's not an issue.

I *think* you can pick forces from opposing sides while in the scenario editor, but they'll still use their usual models, so you'd have US scout teams in their khaki, and German 'Schreck teams in their grey, and Russian SMG teams in their brown, all mixed up, and, AIUI, you can't homogenise their uniforms using a mod, unless you make both sides' uniforms the same, as the mod tag is attached to the inherent nationality of the element, not "which side it's putatively fighting for".

You could create a mod that put all British troops in red coats and shakos, I believe, or whatever uniform you wanted for a custom "faction" but the editor would still call them "British", and there's no way that I know of to add nations entire, yourself.

At its heart, and close to the hearts of the devs, lies a historical wargame, depicting real things, deeply researched by committed people. Part of their daily bread comes from providing us with different historical nations and formations, and they're not terribly interested in providing us with the tools to step very far outside that, or pre-empt their own work for which they can, quite reasonably, charge us.

Depending on what you want to do, some people with actual modding experience might be able to suggest ways-and-means if you were a bit more specific.

20 hours ago, scatoogle said:

Is it possible to create custom units/factions/formations in CMSF2? I've been looking around the modding forums and can't find anything that says one way or another.

You may have already seen the below topic in your search.  It demonstrates some of what is possible.