Black Tracers

Flanker190

8 hours ago, Flanker190 said:

Hi I just fired up Red Thunder again and I get black tracers, I have CBN and CFB and they work fine.

Running Engine 4  2.11, I tried deleting the Z folder but no joy.

Thanks

Hi Flanker190, welcome to the forum.

Textures that appear in black usually mean that the bmp file is missing or somehow borked and not being recognised by the game engine. Try putting only a copy of the various tracers bmps into your z folder and seeing if that makes them appear, you can copy the files from one of the other titles or use a tracer mod. If that doesn't fix it then this may indicate that your installation of RT has been corrupted somehow so you might need to do a fresh install. If you go down that route remember to backup your game files and settings.

one other possibility is that you are trying to play an old saved game? Do tracers appear, or not, in a fresh game?

17 hours ago, fireship4 said:

I got black tracers after doing mipmaps for tracers where the alpha channel wasn't bright enough or something.  Are you sure you don't have a tracer mod enabled?  Or something that would interfere with transparency?

Yes, if one uses the wrong type of alpha channel in a mod that can result in the texture not displaying, put simply the game does know what the texture is so it doesn't display it at all = black. The game engine supports both black and white 1-bit alpha channels and grayscale 8-bit alpha channels BUT only as originally associated with their specific textures, use an 8-bit channel when it should be a 1-bit channel and the texture won't show.

17 hours ago, Flanker190 said:

It happens with all scenarios, I looked in the other titles but they just have compressed brz files.

looks like i'll have to reinstall.

Thanks for your help.

Before you reinstall, try to download a tracer texture and install one to see if they work. You can get some here or here.