Roadblocks as cover

Can't find an answer to this.

1) Are roadblocks cover in the way that walls and hedges are?

2) Are they any kind of LOS barrier? (my experience tells me no).

I was playing a PBEM game of Bruyeres, and I wanted to use a roadblock as cover for my advancing infantry, but not being sure, I didn't want to leave them out to dry.....

------------------

"Artillery is a terrible thing. God, I hate it."

Pvt. David Webster

101st airborne 1942-45

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Runyan99:

Can't find an answer to this.

1) Are roadblocks cover in the way that walls and hedges are?

2) Are they any kind of LOS barrier? (my experience tells me no).

I was playing a PBEM game of Bruyeres, and I wanted to use a roadblock as cover for my advancing infantry, but not being sure, I didn't want to leave them out to dry.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't do it

Anything like a pillbox or a bunker or a non-burning tank will not block LOS or LOF.

Anything like a vehicle that can move or a pillbox or bunker or road block that can be placed in the set-up is treated like a vehicle and we all know that vehicles don't block los or lof unless that are burning and smoking.

so bottom line.....

don't count on road blocks for ANY form of cover at all

Any one else?

thats the way I see it anyway?

-tom w

I think you're right, because in Cheneux I keep trying to place a halftrack behind a roadblock, to give it "hull down" status, but the halftrack keeps panicking and reverses away from the roadblock.

It prefers the reverse slope behind it.

This tells me that roadblocks provide NO COVER. Be careful.

smile.gif

I think it would help if we had several types of roadblocks in the game, each with different characteristics. Engineers, feel free to chime in; I'm working from memory here.

* Road crater

Little cover (unless IN the crater), but some some from the lip. Goodness as obstacle would be based on crater size and location.

* Log crib

Typically a triangular structure, put together much like a log cabin, but anchored with stout, deeply set logs and filled with rammed earth. Impassable to all wheeled and tracked vehicles; easily climbable by infantry.Treat as stone house or wall for cover.

* Abatis or blown trees

Protection as for woods; prohibited for wheeled vehicles; may or may not be passable to AFVs depending on size and extent; acts as barbed wire for infantry.

* Daisy chain mines

Ideally, the pull cord should be almost invisible. Pulling the cord just before the enemy vehicles arrive emplaces the field (string of mines) on the road. This prevents seeing the mines until it's too late. No cover

* Hasty minefield

Engineers only. A few mines laid on road (sighting as for deployed daisy chain mines) or hastily buried (reduced sighting chance compared to proper minefield). No cover.

This is by no means exhaustive, merely a crack at listing some of the many possibilities.

Regards,

John Kettler

I thought roadblocks provided cover for infantry located in it. Playing Cheneux I did have a squad located in the roadblock, but I don't know if it helped since I don't know if it reduced my exposure or not. Could try a QB with a roadblock to test the theory though. Easy enough to do unless you're at work smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

I thought roadblocks provided cover for infantry located in it. Playing Cheneux I did have a squad located in the roadblock, but I don't know if it helped since I don't know if it reduced my exposure or not. Could try a QB with a roadblock to test the theory though. Easy enough to do unless you're at work smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juardis, if you want to play Cheneux, let me know.

I am at home today, I did so much overtime the past three weeks that my bosses told me to stay home.

smile.gif