German Use of Aimed Fire

Some time ago we had a discussion on German use of aimed fire, with the turret ring being a choice area, and someone discussed the subject with a relative who had been a 37mm PaK crewmen. He stated that his crew was trained to aim at the turret ring, because that area was very vulnerable and a hit on that location could immobilize a KV or T34 tank.

I am looking for input with regard to showing that German crews did use turret ring aim, and were taught the procedure.

Thanks for helping out on this.

Lorrin

[ January 20, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: rexford ]

Originally posted by rexford:

Some time ago we had a discussion on German use of aimed fire, with the turret ring being a choice area, and someone discussed the subject with a relative who had been a 37mm PaK crewmen. He stated that his crew was trained to aim at the turret ring, because that area was very vulnerable and a hit on that location could immobilize a KV or T34 tank.

Given that the bottom metre or so of a tank is likely to be masked by terrain at all but the closest ranges, what is the effective difference between aiming at the turret ring and aiming at the centre of mass?

All the best,

John.

Lorrin,

it was me who mentioned that. The relative is the dad of a friend of mine, but he never saw the east, instead sticking to hanging around Italy and France (smart move).

The only thing I could think of that would help you is the actual training manuals, which you maybe able to get from the Bundesarchiv in Germany, or maybe the National Archives in the US.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Lorrin,

it was me who mentioned that. The relative is the dad of a friend of mine, but he never saw the east, instead sticking to hanging around Italy and France (smart move).

The only thing I could think of that would help you is the actual training manuals, which you maybe able to get from the Bundesarchiv in Germany, or maybe the National Archives in the US.

Did the person state that he was trained to aim at the turret ring?

Originally posted by rexford:

Did the person state that he was trained to aim at the turret ring?

Yes, in response to my question along the lines of: 'Why were you still training on the door-knocker (3,7cm) in 1942/3, when it was clear that you could not harm enemy tanks with it?'

He also said they got quite good at it - but that was training, mind you, I wonder what it would have looked like under fire.