hedgerows & air attacks

Sorry two unrelated topics...

Have we seen any screenshots of what hedgerow graphics look like??? Maybe in Colin's shots on his web page?

I know this varies with many factors (pilot skill, AAA, terrain, etc) but how accurate are aircraft in striking ground targets???

I mean, Madmatt's scenarios are tweaked to get alot of cool screenshots; BUT shouldn't aircraft be missing alot more with rockets and bombs than obtaining deadly near misses and hits?

Thanks Stonemeister

Guest Madmatt

Well,

I did post a few shots (at least one that I can think of right off the bat)that shows a big explosion nowhere near any targets. You have to remember explosions in the middle of nothing weren't all that intersting to take pictures of but if you look close at some of those pictures you will see craters and explosions all over the map and not just at the areas of dense vehicle concentration. Again remember those pictures were taken on over 4 different battles that were EACH run through multiple times!

Madmatt out... cool.gif

p.s. I believe in one shot on Colins site there is a small portion of Hedgerow in the background. Its a picture with a King Tiger if I remember correctly.

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-11-2000).]

Thanks Matt,

What are you-- just lying in the weeds waiting to pounce at a moments notice... "AMBUSH!!!"

uhhhhh, sorry, awfully fast reply!!! wink.gif

Yeah, that is what I figured. I know Allied airpower was absolutely murderous to the Germans in Falaise pocket etc... So really just curious about hit to miss ratios in CM -- BTS has got everything else "right"-- so not alot of point in asking really...

I thought that looked like a hedgerow in Colin's heavy armor post!

Thanks Again, Herr Stone out

Guest Madmatt

Actually that first post took 14 minutes to post and thats kinda slow for me..Hehehe Ask Doug Breman how quick I can reply to email! biggrin.gif

Madmatt out and waiting to pounce eek.gif

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Big Time Software

Misses are quite common, but with 500lb bombs even near misses usually score some sort of hit.

Also, planes can misidentify forces and strike friendly units. I had one flyboy take out to Crocs and a Cromwell with its double bomb drop. One was brewed up, the other two various forms of damage. No, I wasn't happy about that frown.gif

Steve

Looking throught the screen shots of the air attack, I noticed that we never saw the actual aircraft (just the shadows). Are the planes actually modeled or are are they treated as off-baord units? Not that it is really important - just wondering... I'd love to seeing the CM view of the classic gun camera footage of the allied train-busting sytle of low flying through the secondaries type of air strikes (and from the recieving end too)!

Guest Madmatt

I would ask that you READ the text that was on the first page in the Air Attack section as it is quite plainly spelled out there, but to make it easy on you:

No you never see the plane, just the shadow. There are several reasons for this not least of which is VRAM overhead but mostly it really isn't neccesary. CM is not a ground attack simulator but a simulation of attacks on the ground...Hmmm I kinda like that! biggrin.gif

Madmatt out... cool.gif

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Thanks Madmatt,

I'm kinda a lazy, ask first, look later, kind of guy...

I figured just as much about the planes. Would be kinda cool to see the planes impact after taking a fatal flak hit. (I think back to how kool it was when a frogfoot would crash and burn in the clasic M1 Tank Platoon)... i'm not complaining... just passing time...