Reinforcements Coming In Loaded...

Hmmnnn, not sure that Title is quite how I meant it to sound. I don't mean "loaded" loaded (🥃), I mean as loaded in a truck... anyway, I'm sure you understand hic.. . 

I want to bring in a couple of infantry squads as reinforcements. They are loaded in a truck. Do I assign the truck the R* designation, OR both the truck and the squads an R* designation, OR just the squads an R* designation? If either of the last 2, do each of the squads need a separate R* number (i.e. R1 and R2), or being that they are loaded in a truck and coming in at the same time, are they considered both as R1?

I do realize once they are on the map, I will need to issue AI orders to have them disembark and they cannot be reloaded (unless there is a bar nearby... oh wait, wrong loaded :D ).

Thanks!

Everything needs to be set to arrive - if your truck and Squad 1 and Squad 2 are due to arrive as Reinforcement 1 at the 10 minute point then the truck needs to be R1, Squad 1 needs to be R1 and Squad 2 needs to be R1 all set to 10 minutes.  The reinforcement settings only determine who turns up at what time.  You will need to make sure that the truck is loaded with the troops in the deployment menu in the unit editor and either deploy at its arrival spot or use the AI plan to determine its arrival point.  Otherwise, you can have as many reinforcements as you like arriving in that R1 slot.

5 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

Perfect. I didn't know you could not place the reinforcements during the deployment phase, but instead use an AI setup area. That really helps - thanks!

Yes you can set them up in the unit deployment menu in the editor or you use an AI set up order.  I generally set them up using the unit deployment menu because then I know that they will be pointing in the right direction or won't spawn in some weird place that won't let them move or whatever vagaries the AI sometimes throws up.

Ahh, good idea. 

One thing I'm hoping to do is put in "reinforcements" that never appear. I know how to do that, but the reasoning is this. I'm trying to build a truly tiny battle - i.e. a platoon vs a company. With the Italians, it seems they have 2 HQ units for every squad. It's amazing. As a result I end up with the 2 squads plus a raft of HQ units that I'd rather not have on the board. So I figured I would turn most of them (I know I need at least one) into reinforcements that don't appear until well after the battle is done. I'm just not sure it will let me do that. Off to find out now.

Yeah, so far so good. I've play tested the defence a few times and it's working great having those extras out of there. I did use R16 for those guys so I wouldn't accidentally given them an order to assault the empty barn or something. Not that I would do that. Nope, not me 🙄 (wanna buy a bridge :D ?) . Anyway, after a few runs I think the defence is working as it should. Tomorrow I'll work on the offence so people can play either side, but I think they definitely will want to play the Canucks vs the Italian AI for this one (although, you never know). This one is fairly strongly based on what I'm reading in Mark Zuehlke's book, "Operation Husky". There wasn't a lot of action in the early days though. The scenario itself is a very loose interpretation of one very small (and short) battle, but as I got going with the map, that sort of took over and the scenario has morphed to kind of fit the map. Now I will say, these ones I'm doing and churning out pretty quickly are not the deep, rich scenarios with the maps to match that you, Matt A and numerous others turn out. I hope to get there someday but you could almost call these training scenarios. Still, as long as they are playable, hopefully people find them "fun" enough to have a bit of entertainment from. I'd never pass them off as truly historical simulations though ;) . 

Ok, we'll see how things go tomorrow. Thanks for this, as always :) .

3 hours ago, Combatintman said:

You mean AI group A16

Yep. It had been a long day when I wrote that post ;) . And you're right of course - they wouldn't have acted on any of the commands regardless. Going to start doing the offensive AI today. We'll see how that one goes :) .