First Aid.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 6:32 AM, chuckdyke said:

One tough cookie.

My 50 Cal Exploded - YouTube

I saw that , man you have to be careful with handloads. I know he didn't realize these were handloads, but you should Be careful about using any ammo that is not commercial. I was visiting my 24 yr old granddaughter and her husband up in Michigan and she was showing me her .38 cal pistol he gave her , she said her and her friend were out shooting it a few weeks back. I opened the cylinder and discovered a bullet lodged just inside the barrel. We put a cleaning rod in to try to clear it , but the rod only inserted about an inch and 1/2 on 2 1/2" barrel. Turns out she had 2 rounds in the barrel. She was using reloads that the husbands father had made and gave them. She or her friend were darn lucky.

1 minute ago, Billythegoat said:

She was using reloads that the husbands father had made and gave them.

It is very easy to become complacent. I used a Dillon which was capable of reloading 500 cartridges an hour. I cut the chore in 2 stages., before seating the bullet I visually inspected the powder level. Took a little longer as you had to take the crimped and primed brass with powder out of the press manually. With this guy's load I suspect that somehow a primer got mixed with the powder. I don't rule out a practical joker if you could call him that. The rule you do your own reloading and don't use somebody else's reloads. 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

It is very easy to become complacent. I used a Dillon which was capable of reloading 500 cartridges an hour. I cut the chore in 2 stages., before seating the bullet I visually inspected the powder level. Took a little longer as you had to take the crimped and primed brass with powder out of the press manually. With this guy's load I suspect that somehow a primer got mixed with the powder. I don't rule out a practical joker if you could call him that. The rule you do your own reloading and don't use somebody else's reloads. 

Agree , 100%