Sniper takes out Sherman-how?!

Thank you Steve! From what I gather, I think a mortar round immobilized the Sherman, due to the fact that a mortar team DID have LOS to the "Ronson Lighter" and there were no infantry teams near the tank smile.gif.

These guys are incredible, aren't they? biggrin.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

As the game in which I claim the sniper took out the Sherman's main gun is soon to be an AAR (as soon as I finish up my summation at the end) you can all see for yourself.

As far as I can tell, the only units that could see the tank were the sniper, Company HQ, and an MG42. The tank was targeted by the sniper. The sniper fired at 39 seconds into the turn. Until this point, no enemy units in the vicinity had fired anything the entire game. The closest enemy unit was at least 100m away. No fausts were fired. No grenades thrown.

I've gone over this dozens of times from both sides and have no idea what happened. The INSTANT the bullet hits the tank the commander buttons and the gun is damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another explanation, I just don't know what it is.

This happened months ago and it didn't really bother me but since the topic was brought up...

Jason

Just checked a few things. The only German units that had LOS to the tank were the sniper and Company HQ 170m away. also, it wasn't a stray artillery round as my FO hadn't started firing yet.

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 03-05-2000).]

I think Sosabowski was right thinking the sniper immobilized the tank. I'm playing a PBEM game in Riesberg right now (as Axis), and my sniper did exactly the same to an allied tank. It was during the first turn, none of my other units had LOS to the tank (sitting at the end of the road), and the tank was immobilized exactly the same moment the bullet fired by my sharpshooter hit it.

It doesn't look like a crew member kill either, because the tank is not buttoned anymore.

Just my 2 cents,

Dschugaschwili

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've gone over this dozens of times from both sides and have no idea what happened. The INSTANT the bullet hits the tank the commander buttons and the gun is damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another explanation, I just don't know what it is<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also be pleased to know the explanation wink.gif

In my game there was no faust at range, no AT gun with LOS, etc... I heard a sniper firing and my TC was dead, my gun damaged.

I just can't see what happened... If it is FOW then it really is awesome biggrin.gif

Dschugaschwili said:

I'm playing a PBEM game in Riesberg right now (as Axis), and my sniper did exactly the same to an allied tank. It was during the first turn, none of my other units had LOS to the tank (sitting at the end of the road), and the tank was immobilized exactly the same moment the bullet fired by my sharpshooter hit it.

Since i'm Dschugaschwili's mysterious PBEM opponent i'll put my 2 cents in too ....

I indeed was stunned to see my sherman stop and button up after a loud 'clank' in the middle of the road. I replayed the movie several times and saw no impact, no explosion, no crewmember is injured etc. I suspected it was the sniper but i had no proof until Dschugaschwili posted his view .....

I think a beta tester or BTS should have a look at it and Dschugaschwili and i can supply the corresponding PBEM files. It looks like a funny bug to me.

Grtz S bakker.

PS: maybe Oswald was hired by the Germans in WOII and used his famous 'magic bullets' ? wink.gif

Hey!

You were not supposed to read this, Stefan! (no smilies so you don't know if he was in the building you've shelled last turn tongue.gif )

Actually, at first I thought the sharpshooter had shot the tank driver, but seeing the tank unbutton later was a rather strange experience. frown.gif

Dschugaschwili

Guest Big Time Software

If the tank buttoned up with no damage to either the crew or the vehicle, then it probably was the Sharpshooter. As for the sound that was heard, this is difficult to say from here what it was. We have lots of "clanks", "clunks", and "carangs" so who knows unless they hear it smile.gif

I really don't think there is a bug here.

Steve

Well, it does look like a bug.. I sent you both an email about it.

You should have said that the immobilisation occured on Turn 1 on the road..

I bet Steve was thinking, same as I, that the tank was being targetted by many units and on open ground (where it could be coincidence it was fired on and immobilised by terrain at the same time).

It's the first time I've ever seen anything like that happen from a sharpshooter. Heavy MGs can sometimes (but very, very rarely) immobilise a tank by chewing up the suspension system (I have a picture of a HMG42 team which is credited with killing a Sherman LOL wink.gif ) but I don't think sharpshooters are intended to do likewise.

T(h)anks for the feedback.

I still have the receipt of the sherman, being brand new and all. Do you think the factory will give me a new one if i could prove it broke down after being hit by a single bullet ? They sure don't make them as they used to. rolleyes.gif

Grtz S Bakker

PS: Maybe this sniper (oh, excuse me, 'sharpshooter') is a candidate for the heroes corner? wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Well, it does look like a bug.. I sent you both an email about it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I've sent the file in.

Most likely the game decided that I should have one lucky shot too, seeing what S Bakkers other Sherman(s) did to my Flak. wink.gif

Dschugaschwili

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BillWood:

I heard that clunk sound, played the turn back and saw a SMG squad toss a grenade that landed squarely under my tank. Boom! Clunk!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had that happen in Reisberg once. I had one of my Shermans in town, well, several of them were. So I drove that Sherman next to one of the rear buildings where a German squad tossed a grenade under the tank and "Boom"--knocked it out!

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang

Guest Big Time Software

OK, I can clear this all up. I finally bugged Charles for an answer and it came back... bug in Beta Demo, fixed months ago. This is one of the many bugs Charles found on his own and simply fixed it. One of the cool things about Charles is that he finds *and* fixes his own bugs. I've worked with many programmers, and I have to say this is not the norm wink.gif So it looks like Charles nabbed it before any of the testers found it, but since you all are playing the same build from many months ago they have cropped up.

All the explanations I gave before are still plausible, but there certainly is one case where the sharpshooter will in fact immobilize the Sherman (again, bug in Beta Demo only).

Steve