Nine year old and Tac AI teach me humility

Since receiving CM, my nine year old son has been playing continously when I'm not on. The other day I finally took him up on his desire to play me in a hotseat game. I arrogantly thought "He doesn't stand a chance. What does a nine year old know about tactics. Besides, I was an infantry officer for nine years, I have professional training and experience!" So we created a small meeting engagement DYO scenario (500 points) and to make it fair I gave him a 25% point advantage and high quality troops. We let the computer select our forces so that my knowledge of equipment wouldn't allow me to have an advantage. Well, I wasn't just humbled, he destroyed me. I knew I was in trouble in the second turn when his veteran Sherman knocked out my only Mark IV panzer. His tank, M8 greyhounds, and MG Jeeps then systematically hunted down and destroyed my Psw 234/1 armored car and halftracks. My platoon of infantry after having their halftracks shot out from under them had moved down the left flank avoiding his main armored thrust. I rushed them into heavy woods to get them into cover only to have his two platoons of until now unseen infantry open up as my troops entered the woods. As the battle ended, I was horrified at the results screen. While being practically decimated, I had not killed a single vehicle or caused hardly any infantry casulties. Total defeat!

Well needless to say an immediate rematch with slightly larger forces (1500 points) and no advantages for my son took place. And this time I taught him a few things about maneuver and tactics. But that first game you should have seen the big kick he got out of killing my forces and the trash talking that my nine y.o. laid on me. Thanks BTS for making a great game with such an intuitive interface that even a nine y.o. can effectively issue detailed movement and targetting commands. I think that this is just the start of some serious competition in our house. I'm going to have to stay sharp to stay on top. And I know I'll probably catch some good natured flak on this forum for coming out and admitting that my nine y.o. laid an old fashioned @ss-whupping on me biggrin.gif, but hey that's life.

------------------

...But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks, 'Play up! Play up! and play the game!' Vitai Lampada--Sir Henry Newboldt

Play the game! Motto of 1st Bn, 50th Infantry, US Army.