Performance issues with steam version?

Fizou

Is anyone else seeing performance drops with the steam version of CMBS? I bought CMBS when first released and have never had any problems with it (like the rest of the series), but now with the steam version its (not a huge sample size yet - granted) slower and input to the mouse for example will sometimes take several seconds before it executes. Im also seeing blurry text which I have never seen before.

I usually use a lot of mods but non so for for the steam version. I experienced this first a couple weeks ago on my old laptop (2015 gaming laptop) and bought a new one last week, same thing (2021 gaming laptop - 10th gen Inetl i7 with a nvidia 2070 super RTX).

Any ideas, maybe revert to the original version? 

I'm not sure about the delayed mouse input, but do you know if your CMBS Steam-installation is possibly using your integrated Intel video rather than your Nvidia 2070 ? The game may likely default to the Intel video and you may need to create a 'profile' for CMBS within the Nvidia control panel's 3D settings. This should have the game run on the Nvidia GPU rather than the Intel one. I have no idea if this will make a difference or not with the mouse input lag or not.

That was it (it affected mouse input lag as well), thanks for the swift reply Schrullenhaft! Im back to the dream like performance Im used to :)

Surprised that the steam version opts for the integrated video as default, or maybe its so long since I installed a "regular" CM copy that some update have changed this (must have been the release of CMSF2) - but as I said, never experienced before steam. Saw a negative review on steam about performance, maybe this could be a fix for that user too. Too bad he/she didnt allow comments to the post. 

Well... It seems CMxx does not know about dual GPU configurations and simply inherits GPU from DWM (?). So the problems with Steam might be Steam App inheriting GPU from DWM them CMxx inheriting GPU from Steam. My (used to be) 3.5K USD NV1070 laptop runs CMBS no better than 1K USD MacBook Air with integrated Intel graphics. The problem sprang up when I tried to confine DWM to iGPU only.

Desktop with sole 1080Ti card runs CMBS properly.

It's up to the driver software to discern when to swap over from the Intel GPU to the discrete video. With CM games most of the drivers that have this integrated/discrete setup often don't recognize CM as something that needs the more powerful discrete GPU. The more popular games have profiles within the drivers already, so they don't run into this situation. For Nvidia (and possibly AMD) setting up a profile within the drivers tells the driver that it needs to run the game on the discrete GPU.