What graphics options do you use?

Jarmo

At the beginning I kept everything on, and used the "realistic" scale.

But with the passing of months, I've turned building transparencies

off, roofs are gone, trees went even before, unit scaling is now again

the default +2.

I still use the best quality smoke and improved textures.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

My first review of a movie is usually at fullest realism. I definitely prefer larger unit scales, usually 4, to track the action (back to Realisitic for figuring hull-down, or maneuvering in tight spaces).

(This brings up a tiny grievance I have... the width of the little trails and breaks between tree tiles. You can move an AFV down some of them, but not others. If you plot a move through one, and the AFV can't make it, it takes the long way around to the endpoint.

Naturally it usually drives around on the enemy side offering some choice flank shots. The vehicle commander would know at a glance that his AFV couldn't fit down the path, so I wish I could know, before the AI interprets my wishes during a movie...)

Back on topic, more and more, I toggle trees off, or to minimum, for review and plotting purposes. I know real commanders couldn't do it, but then, they could see the actual terrain with their eyes. I find this really helps assessing positions in wooded hilly country.

All graphics are stock, off the CD and patches.

I play with full fledged eye candy with the trees at minimum density, no bases and realistic unit scale. I have no problem to keep track of my units as I usually play small battles ( up to 1500 pts) and have the option to show all movement paths/ target lines on.

When I played the Demo I had the units at +2 scale and fumbled very often with my HD movement of tanks.

Realistic scale, no bases, etc. At 3 view or lower if you can watch movie quality battles occur, with tanks scurrying between buildings(instead of partially through them), units in houses(instead of hovering above a fondation), and so on.

I tried going back to +2 scale, but it didn't seem right after so long on +0.

I tend to watch each battle area a time or two, then watch the full battle once straight through on 7 or 8 view with bases on(it's just moving bases with a dot in the from that height). This gives a good sense of enemy movement and directions of attack, which I wouldn't get without it due to the small scale and units being hidden by terrain easier.

You +2, +3, +4 people are weird. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course, but at those scales it's like a sceen from Godzilla.

"We must call Mothra! The mutant infantrymen are destroying the city! Hai!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

You +2, +3, +4 people are weird.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, of course. But I like to try all the tools in the box to see what works, and this helps me track my ground-pounders.

Real life commanders are much more likely to take a recon flight to 3000m every 60 seconds, have their squads affix 20x20m orange panels to their boots, and ask them to refight each minute of action 2 or 3 times. But I have to compromise with reality due to my limited conceptual abilities. wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

You're right, of course. But I like to try all the tools in the box to see what works, and this helps me track my ground-pounders.

Real life commanders are much more likely to take a recon flight to 3000m every 60 seconds, have their squads affix 20x20m orange panels to their boots, and ask them to refight each minute of action 2 or 3 times. But I have to compromise with reality due to my limited conceptual abilities. wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're... mocking me, aren't you? :P

Practically always:

Realistic scale, no grid, full fog-of-war, detailed armor hit info, only a couple of modified bitmaps (uniforms, snow camo).

I use a variety of views each turn, unless I'm limiting myself to only seeing from my units' actual ground-level positions.

Usually:

Unit bases on, max tree coverage.

PvK

I use a similar method to Fogman, but instead I use a mirror on the other wall to view the monitor with. That way it confuses the enemy. His left is now my left, and his right my right. Only problem is the backwards lettering, but I'm working on a dual mirror mode. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss