MG ambush?

manual says i can. so have several posts

however, no matter which team i pick from either side and any country, no machine gun team will ambush. it's simply not a menu or key option. i've tried with CM 1.02 demo as well as 1.02 - 1.05. is there a magic incantation required? i can get goat's blood, cthulhu's pet altar, etc but i must protest no such were mentioned as part of the full game's price

Hey,

Only officers can designate an Ambush point. Units under the officer's command can then Target the Ambush point to join. Then Hide the units and sit back and wait.

Reaper

------------------

"We're in business, definitely!"

Mike, Saving Private Ryan

Hey,

Hrmmm, I always use officers to designate, and target with MG teams. That works fine. I am at work and don't have my manual on me, but can MGs set Ambush markers during the game or only during Setup? Maybe that is the issue?

Reaper

------------------

"We're in business, definitely!"

Mike, Saving Private Ryan

Guest Offwhite

That's right, and if memory serves, any unit with LOS can target an officer's ambush point - they don't have to be in command of that (or any) officer. Haven't tried targetting infantry on an AFV ambush point but I'd give good odds that you can.

As always, I stand ready to be disproven.

yes, any unit can target an ambush marker

what i'm asking is more about which units can create the ambush marker. it's not just officers. by the manual and by what i see in the game, weapon teams and any unit with cannon can as well

problem is, by the manual MG teams can set ambushes but in the game they can't. did i miss something or is this a bug? i hope it's a bug, i would've thought an mg would be a terrifying start to an infantry ambush, or a light armor ambush if you have a 50-cal

[This message has been edited by elementalwarre (edited 08-29-2000).]

Guest Offwhite

Okay, I see what you mean - pg 51 includes MG's in the group of units that can set ambushes - I don't know why it doesn't seem possible to do so in the game. It also says squads need to be in command to target an ambush point, so I stand corrected on that one.

hello, anyone at BTS: i really do think i see a bug in either the manual or the game

manual says an MG team can set an ambush marker. see p. 51

-no- game MG team - or vehicle armed only with MG's, for that matter - will create an ambush marker. use one another unit creates, sure. but they won't create one

i see nothing about this in either forum search results or in the readme's at least through 1.05. OTOH i have seen several posts which say they can set an ambush using an MG. i have to wonder if those posters are just going off the manual or referring to using an ambush marker, not creating one

so what's the story?