Well that's odd...

... or at least I thought it was.

Reviewing the post-battle map and among one of the enemy Tiger's kills was a 75mm PAK40. Which was strange as I'm pretty sure I didn't have any ATGs, let alone German ones as I was the British.

Examining the map closer I found a knocked PAK40 along with casualtied crew that I was unaware of and hadn't been anywhere near.

Does the AI often friendly fire itself?

I also noticed they're FO was alarming close to where he'd been dropping his arty.

AI indirect fire will often cause blue on blue events.  I have also seen friendlies knocked over by direct fire in instances where there is a friendly unit directly between a firing unit and the enemy unit it that the Tac AI is targeting.  It happens more often in the modern titles in my experience and infantry are usually the victims.

I had a really close look to see how it happened. When we got the Tiger there were Churchills on three sides and it fired a few shots backwards towards the general direction of where the PAK40 was placed (although I was unaware of it at the time). I'm guessing one of AP shells overshot. A lot of damage on a infantry target for an AP shell though. And for the life of me I couldn't work out the position the Tiger had been at and the location of the target it was aiming at. Must have been a wild miss.