Spotting bug?

I was playing a QB today in which I was attacking, as the Brits, a German-held village. As I was advancing a Daimler scout car towards the village, a previously-unseen AT gun took it out. After the crew bailed out and ran away, none of my units had LOS to the gun, and the graphic was replaced by a cross. I hunkered down and called an artillery strike on the gun's last known location. When the strike came, with the first blast, the cross disappeared and was replaced by the gun graphic, which had apparently been knocked out. When I advanced my troops, I found out that it had, in fact, been knocked out, apparently by that first arty strike. Now, my question is, if I didn't have LOS to the gun at the time it was knocked out, how would I have known that it was knocked out? Unless of course the Wehrmacht trained their men to scream "Mein Gott, es ist kaputt!" at the top of their lungs.

Now, if I hadn't seen that droopy gun graphic, I probably would've shelled the area for another turn or so to make sure, but as it was, the strike came at the end of a turn, and I was able to shift fire to another target after only expending three or four rounds.

Am I correct that this is a bug, or is there another explanation? I did a search for this, using "spotting bug" as the keywords, but didn't turn anything up. Has this been noticed before? Thanks.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 09-05-2000).]

Nope. Again, at the time the gun was shelled, none of my units had LOS to it. When the gun was hit, the generic cross icon was replaced by the droopy gun graphic. As none of my units had LOS to the gun, I shouldn't be able to tell if the gun was knocked out or not.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

In one game a while back (v 1.03, I think) I shelled a very large (12x12 tiles) patch of woods that I saw enemy infantry entering. When calling the arty, I only could see their roundels near the edge of the forest wher I had lost sight of them. After the barrage came, I could see one or two dead infantry pop into being in the middle of the woods! My closest unit to any of these 'corpses' was about 200m away and it's LOS fell about 30m short.

I understand there may be programming issues involved, but I don't see why this couldn't be addressed in the same way it is for 'live' units. They remain a roundel until the unit can be sighted by someone.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right