Important Question - Sorry BTS

Charles, Steve, and the rest of the BTS Gang,

I appoligize in advance for bothering you guys right now. I know you are very busy getting the game shipped out to all of us and please do not let this, or anything else, deter you from that task.

However, there is one very important component of the game that isn't going to be included with the orginal release: namely TCP/IP and LAN support.

I know you plan to patch this for us free of charge and I can't tell you how great this is and how much we all appreciate it. But my question is when? Can you please give us at least an estimated date, rough timeframe, or some kind of indication when this feature will become available, so that we can have some idea of when this much desireable feature will be added to the game?

Thanks a million in advance.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guess I must have missed that post on the estimated date. Thanks for the info guys.

Mr. Demon.

TCP/IP is the protocol your machine runs to do things over the internet. Once BTS get's this into the game and the rest of the code to support gameplay we will be able to hook up w/ our buddies anywhere in the world and basically play a hotseat type of game, but with two computers that are not anywhere near each other. In other words, no slow email to deal with, etc. Both players will plot their moves and then the movie will be generated and played for both players. They are also integrating optional timer(s) that can be used to limit the amount of time the players have to plot, watch movie, etc. LAN protocol (Local Area Network) is similar to TCP/IP, but it's strictly for playing the game over an existing LAN setup. Which is what most folks have, for example, at their place of work where there computer is hooked up to "the network" via the LAN connection.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 06-14-2000).]

IP play will definitely make the games a lot faster. I just hate waiting for someone to plot their turn while i'm biting my nails waiting for the dang file-transfer. Would rather spend that time plotting myself ...

MK

Even in TCP/IP, a CM game can take a long time. I suppose there will be a feature to save your game and continue it later.

I wonder if there is an option for a mixed TCP/IP and PBEM game. When you have time, you can connect to your opponent and speed up a PBEM game, for example...or is this asking too much? BTS customer support has spoiled me... :)

Epée

Eppe,

I already asked them a long, long, long, time ago to put in the capability to be able to switch the mode of play between email, to TCP/IP, and then back to email during a given game. This would give us players an enormous amount of flexibility in playing out our games in any combination of playing the various turns in PBEM, Hotseat, TCP/IP, etc. modes. Steve said they'd consider it, but I've never heard a difinitive answer on whether we will be able to do this or not.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 06-14-2000).]

• 4 weeks later...