OT: US Army equipment designations

Here's something I've wondered about for a long time:

When I read about U.S. forces in WW2, it seems that almost every piece of equipment carries a designation of "M1," "M2," or "M3." For instance, "M1" can refer to a rifle, a tank, a halftrack, etc., while there seem to be at least two common tanks carrying the "M3" designation. I may be wrong in trying to remember specific examples, but I think the confusion factor is obvious.

I assume that "M#" designates where in the development series a particular model of equipment lies. But I just wonder why the U.S. didn't assign a unique letter/number for every major line of ground equipment (as with fighter planes: B-17, P-47, P-51, P-38, etc). If nothing else, wouldn't it have made the supply sergeants' job easier?

Can anyone shed some light for me? Why was it done this way?

A "T" prefix indicates equipment submitted for government testing and approval.

An "M" prefix indicates equipment accepted for government use.

Why the numbers are so often similar (M1 Mortar, M1 Garand, &c) is a mystery to me, but I suspect that a new number series was commenced for each category of equipment.

------------------

When I die I want to go peacefully, like my grandfather, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

A "T" prefix indicates equipment submitted for government testing and approval.

An "M" prefix indicates equipment accepted for government use.

Why the numbers are so often similar (M1 Mortar, M1 Garand, &c) is a mystery to me, but I suspect that a new number series was commenced for each category of equipment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I think if an "A#" was added, this meant an "official" modification was made to said piece of equipment.

And if an "E#" was added, this meant an "unofficial" modification was made.

I think. I'm sure I'll be corrected later...

------------------

No smilies were harmed in the making of this post.

I believe "A" indicates a series (or variant), while "E" indicates an experimental rather than an unofficial modification.

Thus we have say, an M4A3E8

M4 (4th generation of tank)

A3 (3rd variant)

E8 (8th modification, in this case a horizontal volute spring suspension)

Note that after official acceptance, the E designation is dropped and the vehicle becomes the M4A3-76(W)HVSS. It is the identical vehicle to the M4A3E8, but the former has been approved while the latter is still technically under test.

76, of course, being the armament and W indicating wet ammo stowage.

I'm curious, too, why vehicles such as the T26 Pershing (later the M26) were introduced into field service before officially being accepted.

None of this, of course, answers the question of why there is an M60 machine gun and an M60 Tank...