Demo screen resolution query

Hi all

Demo screen resolution query.

I am thinking about purchasing some of the newer games, having been a fan of CMBO, CMBB and CMAK back in the day.  Played them to death, but want to move on to something newer -also my new laptop doesn't have a cd drive, so looking for something to download.

I''ve downloaded the demo for  Soviet-Afghan and Red Thunder, but have some problems with screen resolution. Is this limited in the demos? I can only get 1280x960, according to the drop down menu. My native resolution is 1980 x1080, and I'm running an rtx 2060 with 6gb video ram on an i8 system with 16gb ram.

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

The newer games are actually MUCH more flexible in terms of resolution than the old ones. The Demos should NOT be restricted in that capability as far as I'm aware.

If your laptop screen is actually running 1980 x 1080, then the games should be capable of running that resolution. In the main menu go to 'Options' and in here select the drop-down for 'Display Size' and select 'Desktop'. This should adjust the resolution to what the Windows Desktop is running at (usually your native resolution). There are limited resolutions below that (that you've seemed to have selected).

If you want a resolution that isn't listed and is not your desktop resolution, then you can actually configure a file (which I believe is present for the demo versions) to list a custom resolution (that both your display and video card can support). In the main game directory you can find a file named 'display size.txt'. Open this up with a simple text editor (like Notepad) and replace the three zeroes you find with the resolution and vertical refresh rate. So replace the '0 0 0' with '1920 1080 60' for a 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz vertical refresh. I think you need to select this resolution in the Options menu before it takes affect.

rocketman makes a good point, you very likely have Intel integrated video which is the default display controller. The GeForce GTX 2060 may only get used for certain games and it is is possible that the CM games might not trigger its use (and instead run on the Intel integrated video). To force the game to run on the GeForce you will need to create a 'profile' for the game in the 3D Settings within the Nvidia Control Panel (possibly accessible within the 'GeForce Experience' software - can't remember exactly for Windows 10), which will list the game's executable and cause it to be used for the game.

Edited by Schrullenhaft