Accuracy of the DCS-world NORMANDY map. Useful for map-making ?

Hello...

Finding good time-specific areal photographs as well as ground level pictures from 1944 of your desired location for a scenario can be tricky. This got me thinking...

Does anybody know how accurate the Normandy map for DCS-world is ?

I'm pretty sure that things like roads, rivers, streams and such things are very accurate...But how about the different fields...are they correctly represented or are they just kind of randomely designed ?

Same with villages and cities...Are they a good representation of the RL 1944 timeframe ?

If the map indeed is fairly accurate it could be a good source for CM Normandy map making. Using both the editor wiew (zoomed in to the right level to show buildings and hedges, boccage and stuff) and well as the in-game wiew. Using the PRINT SCREEN button will allow for taking pictures of the desired map area...

thoughts ? 

In recent weeks I've seen a few different yt video makers playing this game. I think the maps are fairly accurate in terms of towns, villages, rivers etc. But, it appears to my old eyes that fields are divided by trees, rather than hedgerows, and I can see no evidence of authentic looking sunken lanes.

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

But, it appears to my old eyes that fields are divided by trees, rather than hedgerows, and I can see no evidence of authentic looking sunken lanes.

True...I guess that the boccage-type graphics is not avaliable for this map and that they are using various trees to simulate this instead...

Might  makes it a bit tricky to know wich fields are surrounded by the boccage and wich are not...Not ideal i guess...

I wounder if the locations and shape of the fields are correct though...☺️

If they are... and the size of the cities and villages is time specific with a fairly correct building placement...

I may give this a try...to make a map using DCS Normandy as a base...and see how it works...

I don't have DCS up and running currently though so this will have to wait a while...

thanks for your pointers....

i have been temted to try and do a little something i the Normandy setting for quite some time now...using the latest game engine and having the full compliment of modules and vehiclepack to chose from will allow for many possibilities 😁...

i will probably give this DCS map thing a try and see if it is a nice tool to use...