Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

American FO Oddity--4.5 inch!

Yes, you read that right. In my current battle against Kingfish I had an FO for 4.5 inch fire support. Since standard U.S. weapons in this size range are 105 mm, 155 howitzer and 4.2 inch mortar (107 mm), I confess myself at a loss--unless somebody simply screwed up the caption.

The other possibility is that I'm drawing support fires from a nearby British unit, since the British had 4.5 inch guns.

Would someone who knows what's what please tell me which is correct?

Regards,

John Kettler

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 10-27-2000).]

Create a new battle with the scenario editor, and look at the American's arty. Yes, they do have 4.5 inch arty, also 4.2 inch mortars. I suppose it is odd, perhaps these guns were first produced before the army went to metric? 4.5" and 4.2" come out to 114mm and 107mm, FYI.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guest Offwhite

From the ASL ordnance notes (not that this is necessarily gospel, but it does address your question):

M1 4.5-in. Gun: In 1939 the Army decided to design a new 4.7-in. (120mm) gun. It was then suggested that the caliber be changed to 4.5-in. (114mm) so as to allow interchangeability of ammunition with the British gun of the same caliber. The M1 was the result. Its British-designed ammunition had a low HE content for its caliber, which made it less effective than desired; for this reason, and its excellent range notwithstanding, the 4.5-in. was declared obsolete after VE Day. 426 were built, but only about 200 saw combat in sixteen medium field artillery battalions - all in the ETO. A battery of 4.5-in. guns comprised 4 such weapons.