Windows NT

Okay, just so I don't get jumped here: I searched but didn't get find out...

Several weeks ago, I downloaded CM here at work and couldn't get it to run. I checked the messages and found that not only the demo, but CM itself won't run under NT. Something about direct X...

Is this still the case. I'd like to have it here at work (just for demostration purposes, of course).

CM requires DirectX (WIN machines of course) to work. Last I checked, NT 4.0 doesn't have DirectX, and won't. So therefor CM won't run under NT (unless you're one of those propellor heads who can make your own DirectX for NT).

WIN2000 WILL have DirectX, and since you're using NT right now your company will probably jump to 2000 soon, yes? (it's my opinion that people who are using 95/98 will be last to upgrade, NT users will be first)

Bottom line: if you ain't got DirectX (or that Sprocket stuff for MAC) you ain't gonna play CM.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

CM requires DirectX (WIN machines of course) to work. Last I checked, NT 4.0 doesn't have DirectX, and won't. So therefor CM won't run under NT (unless you're one of those propellor heads who can make your own DirectX for NT).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... It does, actually... sort of. But not in the same way as Win9x. Service pack 3 (I want to say) introduces full support for DirectX 3. Service pack 5 updated DirectPlay to version6, But I'm sure that CM is using Direct 3d ver 6. In the end, I think it amounts to the same thing, a current DX is not available on NT4. Go 2000... I have RTM running at home and except for some tweaking I had to do to get my SB Live run, everything fell nicely into place. Voodoo3 was recognised and plays whatver I need it to and everything else is faster than NT and smoother than 9x.

Clay-

hey look! I'm a full member now... sniff sniff... today I am a man...

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 01-07-2000).]