SWING THAT TURRET!

Yo, Steve!

The other night in a PBEM I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness my Tiger burn because of a slight error on my part and what I thought was odd behavior for atleast German armor.

My Tiger was told to MOVE FAST and then HUNT laterally across my side of the map down a road to his left. As he just ended his MOVE FAST portion of the order and proceeded with his hunt he spotted a M36 JAckson behind him and to his right. Of coarse he stop to engage the target, but instead of rotating towards the target, which would have been faster, he tried to swing his big old turret. Needless to say this took some time. As I paitently waited the M36 spotted the tiger and brewed him up nicely.

My complaint is that since most German tank turrets move so oh very slow shouldn't my tank swing its whole facing since this would be a faster solution? My tiger had spotted NO other threats so facing that direction would have been a safer and "smarter" option.

Just my thoughts...

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

I would say that must have been an anomlous or unsual situation as I have seen tanks from both sides while directed by the AI and TAC AI do BOTH, swing the turret around and rotate in place to present the frontal armour.

My response is to say, test that situation out a bit more and you will find (I think) that tanks usually rotate BOTH together to make the turret rotation "seem" faster.

I have seen it happen that way may times in the game.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

My understainf of armor SOP is that you would do both (turn the tank and the turret) in that situation, so that you can add the rotation speeds of the hull to the rotation speed of the turret. Plus, you want your heavier frontal hull armor facing the right direction also.

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa.. I am gonna have to agree with you Jeff. Man.. That doesn't feel right but I do. wink.gif

But alas.. I watched my poor Tiger swing his turret oh so very sloooooowly, that is, until he exploded. *sigh* oh well.

Jeff

Here's how I've found it to work in CM:

With any kind of movement order, the hull of a turreted vehicle will rarely (if ever) rotate while between waypoints.

If stationary, or reaching a waypoint in hunt mode, a turreted vehicle will turn it's turret towards the target. If the target is fairly high threat, the hull will also rotate towards the target (simultaneously with the turret). This mean for slow rotating turrets that the gun will rotate past the target while trying to counteract the hull movement, especially for crews with higer rating that rotate the hull much faster. This way gun laying is slowed down by the hull rotation...

Turretless vehicles won't suffer nearly as much from this problem, and are thus better than slow rotating turrets in most circumstances while still mobile. Only fast rotating turrets seem to fully negate this problem.

Cheers

Olle