Winter camos.....are they realistic?

I downloaded the winter camo mods..it's impressive!...but...but...2 questions arising about camos:

1. with snow on terrain tanks come in always winter-camoed...is it realistic?...they were always camoed?...isn't it better that tanks be camoed randomly?

2. will camouflage affect opposite targeting?...and if not it would be great that we get a patch for it! smile.gif

If I understand the way the game works, winter camo is an all or nothing deal. Either all the tanks of a particular type have it, or none of them will. The game can't randomly choose tanks to apply the winter camo to. Same with the standard German camo.

As for spotting, painted camo isn't nearly as effective as sticking foliage all over (to break up the outline), but it can help. The German camo is particularly effective in autumn. There are also many photos of German tanks with tree branches stuck everywhere, but I can't imagine a way for CM to model this. Again, it would be all or nothing, as with the Rhinos on Allied tanks.

-- Mike Zeares

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>how is camouflage factored into the game?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well IIRC camo has no effect on spotting within the game (but if you use with realistic scale and bases off, you will have a hard time to see them on screen wink.gif)

AFV stealthiness is a combination of size, silhouette and the use of terrain features.

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

[This message has been edited by ncounio (edited 08-16-2000).]

I have an idea: maybe, for the next game of CM (or the one after) BTS can include the option to buy camoflauge for your armor. This would somewhat limit the visibility of the armor at longer ranges, but would not make the tank invisible.

------------------

...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

hmmm, you could factor in a camouflage

thing, such as the factor is randomly

determined but there are general

tendencies, i.e. perhaps in autumn

germans since they were better in camo

they might be harder to spot, or that

in winter some tanks are easier to spot

since they have camo, and some don't?

or SS have uniforms better for camouflage?

Oh another hint for the perfection of CM!

Operation Team DeSobry...first battle with falling snow but no snow on ground...no german winter camoed tanks.

Second battle...snow on ground...uh oh...during the night some german guys painted wrecks with winter camo! smile.gif