what country do you like to play as when wargaming WW2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, The brits do sound like fun. I heard somewhere they got the joke in their arsenal.

Imagine, your british squads happily prancing through european forests, yelling in unison: "Wenn ist das Nunstueck git und Slotermayer? JA!...Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput"! And Germans dropping out of every tree. biggrin.gif Get's 'em everytime!

Although it pains me of course the German version of the joke didn't make it into the final version. frown.gif

So no sweet German revenge... No "Die ist ein Kinnerhunder und zwei Mackel ueber und der bitte schoen ist den Wunderhaus sprechensie. 'NEIN' sprecht der Herren 'Ist aufern borger mit Zveitingen.'"

Pity, that...

A patch perchance? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Juju (edited 06-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusm:

Both the Churchill and Cromwell were a match for Tigers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played the British ONCE in ASL and that was enough for me, never again. Three 88LL AT/AA guns on top of a hill, vs. a group of British tanks = total disaster for the British.

Many of their AFVs were so slow that riding a bicycle would have been faster.

I don't really care which side I play though, there is always an interesting challenge to be had.

biggrin.gif

Well, isn't that where you're supposed to call in artillery, fire smoke, or bring up the infantry?

Call it a game of rock, paper, scissors. Anti-tank guns are designed to do one thing well.. kill tanks. Is it any suprise that you got hammered when using a tank force?

The same would be the case if the Germans are advancing with MkIVs into the teeth of a couple of US 90mm guns

NTM

Marcusm,

Market Garden was a gambit and it failed. End of story. It didn't contribute measurably to anything accept Monty's bad rep. Holland wasn't completely liberated until May 45. Market Garden didn't help most of the Dutch one bit.

RMC

Respectfully disagree. Parts of it failed others succeeded. If you want you can simulate alternatives with TOAW which suits better for the scale I'm talking about.

It's very easy to be wise when you have all the facts with 4 colour pics to show where every single German unit stood. Slightly harder with the info they had 1944.

Marcus

What about the Dutch civilians in Arnhem, Oosterbeek, and Driel. I'm sure they didn't feel that great watching their houses destroyed by either the Brits, Poles, or Germans.

Yes, the 101st, and the 82nds missions were fullfilled, and civilians were liberated, but without the Arnhem bridge, the corridor was useless.

Ask any Arnhem survivor today, and he'll probably still hate Montgomery.

Marcusm,

I think the point you are trying to make is "given what they went up against, they did pretty well so the operation should be considered successful." In a manner of speaking that is correct, but you can't grade on a curve in war.

To me regardless of the difficulty of the objective and the fragility of the plan, it did fail to achieve the desired result. Monty's and others' comments about 90% success are all just spin. Monty was always good at that by changing the desired outcome as originally planned to close to whatever the real outcome was. His operations around Caen are typical of his style. Anyway, the objective of Market Garden was to secure a crossing over the rhine. It failed to do that.

Gen Sosaboski.

Well the majority of them were happy about the effort I figure. At least according to the reports I'm reading. Dresden was a better example of pointless destruction if you ask me.

RMC

Can't disagree about the overall objective failing. I'm just saying that total failure that some say is not correct either. About Antwerpen btw, my impression was that the main reason for this operation except for the Rhine was the super heavy German fortificattions on the way. Wasn't this mainly why they tried to jump?

Marcus