History Channel World At War Series

My local video store has the History Channel WWII The War Chronicles Box Set (narrated by Laurence Olivier)on sale for $50 ($72 Canadian). It is 7 videos with two episodes per video.

Does anybody know if it is any good? Is it good footage and details, or just basic stuff we all know? That's more dough than CM so I wanna be sure.

Hundminen

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 02-10-2000).]

Guest Seimerst

LOS is right!! We used it to every day when teaching WWII to the cadets at West Point-- lots of superb footage and an excellent narration. Pricety but worth it.

Only 14 episodes? The actual series has 24 (or was it 25?)! BTW the series as sold by the History Channel and Amazon.com has 9 volumes. You can see the correct packaging if you go to Amazon.com. If it's legit, you've got a real bargain there. I'd buy it at that price. smile.gif

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

[This message has been edited by EScurlock (edited 02-11-2000).]

Definitely worth watching. It's an excellent overview at the "big picture" level. Covers politics, home front, effects on civilians as much as the military angle. Narration and scripting are excellent (hey, it's Larry Olivier, so what do you expect).

The only thing is it's a little dated -- maybe 30 years -- and historical knowledge has advanced a lot since then. Some areas aren't covered at all e.g., Enigma and other Bletchley Park stuff, while others are somewhat glossed over, like Stalin.

Still eminently watchable and very informative.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

It's actually a 12 video set with 26 episodes (yes I have them all).

Is very good at giving you a broad look at the war in total. Doesn't get too nitty gritty but has lots of interviews and comments by veterans from all sides. Definitely worth US$50.

Reg's

Fen

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi there everyone, maybe i can shed some more light on this for you.

Actually there are 2 versions of this great documentary from the BBC. One is a US version (NTSC) and one is for Europe (PAL). The US version is available as 26 seperate videos or as a set of 9 volumes, but the set of 9 from Amazon.com is not the complete 26 episodes so beware. In the UK it is available as 4 parts, each a set of 6 or 7 episodes hence the confusion over how many videos/episodes/volumes make the complete set. The best value is the British set which costs 100 pounds sterling for all 4 parts (26 episodes + 2 free videos containing 3 bonus episodes making 29 episodes in total) but you must have a video and tv that can play PAL system tapes.....or a multisystem TV and Video, this set is available from WWW.theworldatwar.com alternatively the NTSC set can be pricey, it is listed as US$ 699.95 (complete set of 26 videos - one per episode) at www.adhostnt.adhost.com

The PAL set also comes with the bonus double video special as previously mentioned, the last of the series and not included in any previous sets - the double video (which i also have) called "The 2 deaths of Adolf Hitler" which investigates whether Adolf shot himself or took cyanide pills, it includes interviews with the autopsy teams from Russia and europe. It also includes the episode "The Final Solution" about Auschwitz and "Hitlers Germany"..all in the great traditional style of The World At War.

I hope you can find this helpful, save your money and buy these instead of The War Chronicles set, or better still buy both!

Best regards,

CDIC

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

[snip for brevity]

The best value is the British set which costs 100 pounds sterling for all 4 parts (26 episodes + 2 free videos containing 3 bonus episodes making 29 episodes in total) but you must have a video and tv that can play PAL system tapes.....or a multisystem TV and Video, this set is available from WWW.theworldatwar.com alternatively the NTSC set can be pricey, it is listed as US$ 699.95 (complete set of 26 videos - one per episode) at www.adhostnt.adhost.com

[snip]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For $699.95 you could a buy a mighty fine multi-standard video player and the complete PAL set of W@W (£100=~$160). Surely it must be available more cheaply?

Ethan

Ok,I think I finally got this figured out.

Thanks for setting us straight Capitalistdog.

War War II Chonicles (History Channel) is a 7 video set, 500 minutes in all. Amazon's own reviewer pans it. Apparently not consistent in presentation of maps, video doesn't match narrative, but lots of things get blown up real good.

World at War (HBO) is a 9 video set, 1,000 minutes long, 26 episodes. The same Amazon reviewer plus all 5 customer reviews describe it as a landmark acheivement - the definitive WWII video account. What seems to impress is the range of interviews, the footage, the narrative (Olivier), and the musical score is used to great effect.

Well, my local video just got World at War back in stock ($90 Candian or US$60). That's where I'll be spending my hard earned dollars.

I only wish I could find 1,000 minutes wink.gif

Hundminen

By the way, the World At War is reviewed at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/video-customer-reviews/0783107 986/ref=pm_dp_ln_v_1/102-4588313-0550434

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 02-12-2000).]

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi there,

If the 9 video set in your local store includes all 26 episodes then its an absolute bargain, good luck with your purchase and prepare to be riveted in your armchair for the next few weeks!

CDIC