directx 8 released

I wonder if CM will benefit from the new dx8. It's been released but won't be ready for download till friday or saturday.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/001109/wa_microso_2.html

here's a clip of the details of dx8:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>-- Consolidated interfaces for DirectDraw® and Direct3D® simplify

application development and improve performance.

-- Improved graphics authoring tool integration eases development of

optimal 3-D characters and environments.

-- Vertex shaders and pixel shaders improve image realism.

-- Consolidated DirectSound® and DirectMusic® interfaces simplify

application development.

-- DLS2 audio synthesis support improves instrument realism.

-- DirectInput® device mapping provides simplified device support.

-- DirectPlay® performance and scalability for massively multiplayer

games has been improved.

-- DirectPlay IP voice communication support is provided.

-- DirectShow® Editing Services APIs provide real-time compositing and

editing of audio/video timelines.

-- DirectShow supports reading and writing Windows Media Audio and

Video (WMA and WMV).

-- Microsoft TV Technologies support digital television.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heads up for 3dfx owners: they have already released directx 8.0 compatible drivers. Head on over to 3dfxgamers.com--drivers.

-john

I'd be well advised to wait and see if anyone experiences lockups before I install as my trust for anything Microsoft remains small, and also I'd like to wait (say, the weekend after next) until BTS rewrites its code for CMBO in order that everything we have now then takes full advantage of all these new optimizations which, hopefully, will not cause any lockups along the way . . . though I probably will not and just grab it right away along with the rest of you schmucks. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Tris (edited 11-10-2000).]

Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase with Dx8, though? From the list of improvements over Dx7, it sounds like the majority will be more important for game designers rather than for gamers themselves. Which is fine in that it paves the way for the next generation of games, I'm just curious to see if there's a noticeable difference over Dx7 for my purposes.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase with Dx8, though? From the list of improvements over Dx7, it sounds like the majority will be more important for game designers rather than for gamers themselves. Which is fine in that it paves the way for the next generation of games, I'm just curious to see if there's a noticeable difference over Dx7 for my purposes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been running DX8 for a few weeks now (loaded a beta because I was hoping it would fix some instability problems), and I have not noticed a significant change in performance for better or worse.

Jeff

Guest Mark Jensen

Hi Jeff Heidman, where do you get the nvidia 6.47 drivers? I used to dl them from reactorcritical but its shutdowned or something.

Regards

Mark "DarkAngel" Jensen

Denmark

Chupacabra wrote:

> Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase with Dx8, though?

Driver releases are usually just bug fixes and such. Claimed improvements in speed or quality are probably theoretical most of the time. If you don't have any specific problems, you're as well to stick with the drivers you've got, as performance is dependent almost entirely on your graphics hardware.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Driver releases are usually just bug fixes and such. Claimed improvements in speed or quality are probably theoretical most of the time. If you don't have any specific problems, you're as well to stick with the drivers you've got, as performance is dependent almost entirely on your graphics hardware.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again, I agree with Mr. Aitken and the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. I have an older machine and am entirely too lazy to update my drivers, so the new DirectX can wait a while.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Peng thread? I've apologized for less.

-Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Chupacabra wrote:

> Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase with Dx8, though?

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one exception to Davids point is the Detonator 3 drivers from NVidia. One of the very few examples where new drivers saw a significant performance boost, even in old hardware.

If anyone has a TNT2 or GeForce card, they would be well served to download the Nvidia ver 6.xx (Detonator 3) drivers.

As far as DX8 is concerned, the only reason I upgraded is that I already had the betas installed in an effort to resolve some other issues. otherwise, I probably would still have whatever I loaded when I bought my system.

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase with Dx8, though? From the list of improvements over Dx7, it sounds like the majority will be more important for game designers rather than for gamers themselves.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is correct. In order for a game to take advantage of Dx8's advanced features it will have to be specifically programmed to do so. I don't intend to upgrade until I have such a game, which will probably not be for months.

------------------

Most people assume that the M in US vehicle designations means "Model". Thus, the Medium Tank M4 Sherman would be the "Model #4" Medium tank. This is incorrect. The M actually stands for "Mortality" and the number represents the life expectancy of the vehicle in minutes. - Bullethead

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

To HighjackGMH

I have a Hercules Geforce 2 GTS card, and I have tried the 5.xx series and the 6.xx series of drivers. I found out that the 6.xx give me a good performance increase over the 5.xx ones. Right now I use the official Detonator 3(6.33) drivers from NVIDIA, and they work great. The 6.47 drivers are also good, and a little bit faster too.

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

home.online.no/~andhess/cm/