1 sec = 1,7 sec...?

If this has been adressed before Im sorry...

Just noticed spotters are counting down at a very slow rate.

Had artillrty comming in in abt 35sec...ie according to the spotter.

But it took almost 60sec before he had counted down to 0...

Just watch as he counts down while watching the "movie-clock". They are counting down at almost 1/2 rate.

Game bug, or just simulation a battered watch? wink.gif

Uhhh? Nothing to do with accuracy?

Its a countdown to when they are starting firing right?

When my spotter tells me they will start firing in 60sec, I expect em to start in 60sec...not 100sec. Now hes constantly counting down at half rate, so its not like hes correcting his aim or something like that.

Must be that battle worn watch wink.gif

If you're firing at something that the FO can't see (no LOS to target), the ETA time will be double what the counter says (i.e. the counter will tick half as fast). If you can see that target, the counter will tick at the same rate as the time. And yes, barrages out of LOS will be less accurate.

- Chris

Why dont they increase the countdown time for no-LOS spotting then?

They must still know when the artillery will start firing even though the target is not in LOS???

1sec should always be 1sec imho.

Not a big deal though...just a bit irritating when u expect to have artillery support for a round, but it never arrives...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thats to simulate that fact your spotters can tell you when the shells are landing with 100% accuracy Buzzer smile.gif Treat is as an ETA smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah uh what?

I guess its an abstraction then. Not a simulation.

Tha game has good abstractions and really bad abstractions (anyone care to explain what 300 meter ambush limits even TRY to abstract?).

Lewis

Guest KwazyDog

So I take it from what you guys are suggesting that in WW2 arety was 100% on time? smile.gif It could have been, I wouldnt know, hehe.

What I said above was simple my assmption and to be honest I think what wolfe said is probably more on the mark....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thats to simulate that fact your spotters can tell you when the shells are landing with 100% accuracy Buzzer smile.gif Treat is as an ETA smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the answer is "Your FO's watch is an ETA of the arrival time from the firing battery". No FO can tell you exactly when impact will occur.

Capt. Marvel "Get those rounds here now!"

Lt. Lewy Fo " Sorry Cap. they usually get 'em off by now!"

Capt. Marvel "Damn it man, can't you see those Germans swarming all over the village? It's been 75 seconds!"

Lt. Lewy Fo. " Sh!T Cap. Called 'em back, their getting right on it. Said it would be just another minute or two" smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-09-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

Errm, yeah, thats what I was trying to say thanks Abbot smile.gif

Thats what I always thought, anyways. I treat it as an expected time on target, not a sure thing. Wolfe's suggestiong is worth investigating too, though, that could also be it...

>No FO can tell you exactly when impact will occur.

Actually they can.

I forget the exact formula but it goes roughly like this: you know the velocity of the round and you know the distance it is traveling. You calculate the time it takes from rounds out to impact and then you simply use a stop watch to measure the time so you can give the FO a few seconds advance warning so he knows when the rounds will impact.

Commands:

FO: "Fire mission, cordinates xx.yy. Ranging fire, I will adjust"

Battery: "Rounds out........ attention ..impact"

FO then adjusts and goes FFE.

That is the procedure the Finnish army used and still uses as a back up.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tero:

>No FO can tell you exactly when impact will occur.

Actually they can.

I forget the exact formula but it goes roughly like this: you know the velocity of the round and you know the distance it is traveling. You calculate the time it takes from rounds out to impact and then you simply use a stop watch to measure the time so you can give the FO a few seconds advance warning so he knows when the rounds will impact.

Commands:

FO: "Fire mission, cordinates xx.yy. Ranging fire, I will adjust"

Battery: "Rounds out........ attention ..impact"

FO then adjusts and goes FFE.

That is the procedure the Finnish army used and still uses as a back up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.

However what I am saying is when a Fire Order is received there is a delay in processing that order into a fire mission. This is the delay that is built into the game mechanics. Once the round leaves the tube it can be timed.

I thought the time your FO reports is the time it takes to calculate all the important stuff and then the battery to receive the fire order and direct their tubes to the right direction and has nothing to do with the time it takes from shell to travel. When the time reaches 0, it changes to firing, and then it takes some time before the shells reach their target.

So, the time given by FO is the "human variable", and thus it is not precise. And while I haven't tested it particularly, I have a feeling that more experienced spotters give a more realistic estimation.

The CMFM (Combat Mission field manual)

The estimated time delay before the strike commences is shown in the artillery spotter’s window. Keep in mind this is only the estimated time and it can take a little less or much longer before the first rounds fall. The “clock” will tick down much more slowly while the spotter does not have a line of sight to the target.

Page 88 Delays

Sorry. It's a Microsoft Works file. It's all I have. I had assumed most folks have a spreadsheet that can read old MSWorks 3.0 files. Guess not.

OK. I tried saving it as an Excel 4.0 file from within Works, but the columns are now much wider than in the Works file, so the tank stuff won't print correctly unless you re-orient the page to landscape and fiddle with all the columns. mad.gif Sorry, it's the best I can do. Does anyone know of a free converter that doesn't screw with the column width/text type? URL:

http://users.erols.com/chare/cm/cm_xls.zip

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 09-09-2000).]